Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dunlop tires fitted new 9/1963: Blackwall? Whitewall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dunlop tires fitted new 9/1963: Blackwall? Whitewall?

The build sheet for my '64 Cruiser says it came off the line Sept. 9, 1963 and was fitted with Dunlop tires. Doesn't say if the sidewalls were white or black.
    I'll be buying tires soon, thought I'd make them as authentic as I could...

Originally posted by mausersmth View Post
    The build sheet for my '64 Cruiser says it came off the line Sept. 9, 1963 and was fitted with Dunlop tires. Doesn't say if the sidewalls were white or black.
    I'll be buying tires soon, thought I'd make them as authentic as I could...
    Blackwalls, unless the build sheet indicates an option of whitewalls. It won't match the build sheet, but you could put narrow/stripe whitewalls on if you like the look.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

A top of the line Cruiser would'a, should'a had White Walls, especially if those Wheel Covers were on the Production order!

It could have been ordered with Black walls, but who would want it to look like a Challenger, after paying for a Cruiser?
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hmmm... So the Dunlops were probably blackwall, but a Cruiser without whitewalls is a little like Norma Jean without her makeup...
        I have heard of whitewalls ranging from 3/4 inch to 2 inch in late '63. I would lean to a range of 1.25 inch to 1.6 inch on Diamond Back 185/80R15 tires.
        I know that a dealer could swap tires on a new car to make a sale, so anything could be 'right'! But does anyone know what South Bend was using in Fall of '63?

Comment

Perhaps this will help: http://oldcarandtruckads.com/Studebaker/ The pictures of the 1963 advertising show various models with whitewalls. And this too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46GOuo4J6Yk&feature=fvsr
          Last edited by fatboylust; 08-27-2010, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mausersmth View Post
            I would lean to a range of 1.25 inch to 1.6 inch on Diamond Back 185/80R15 tires.
            Huh? Where did you ever come up with an oddball size like that? The aspect ratio is extreamly TALL, but the width is too narrow! You better get a Diameter measure on those so you don't end up with VW sized tires, way to small!

The correct size P205X75R15 measures approx. 26.98 in. tall depending on brand, and a tread very close to 5 inches wide.

The original Tire on MOST later '63's and & '64's was a Firestone Deluxe Champion with a 1 inch Whitewall with a raised Black Protector "rub" strip around it, as most all Tires of the time had. On a V-8 non-Convertible/Hawk or Wagon, they were 6.40/6.50X15 Bias Ply.
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              A top of the line Cruiser would'a, should'a had White Walls, especially if those Wheel Covers were on the Production order!

It could have been ordered with Black walls, but who would want it to look like a Challenger, after paying for a Cruiser?
              In the mid-1960s, when I ordered a new car I ordered it with blackwalls. I couldn't see paying the $35 extra for tires that only lasted six months. When I replaced the original tires, I put on whitewalls for a small difference in price. $35 doesn't sound like much now, but it was a lot for whitewalls in 1964 (especially comared to the cost of a car).
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

This thread started out talking about a 1964 and now it is getting mixed up with 1963 models. 1964s used a white stripe of about one inch that was separated from the rim by about one inch. 1963 Larks used a one inch stripe that started at the rim.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  /Cut/1963 Larks used a one inch stripe that started at the rim.
                  That would be exactly why I said "LATE '63's", as only the brochure prototype cars, and a very few early '63's actually HAD those strange U.S. Royals with the narrow white wall at the rim.

Until a few years ago, I had a set of well worn ones, I saved for samples or re-treading. There COULD have been some Firestones like that, but mine were U.S. Royal, not a common tire on a Studebaker, but they were Factory installed.
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I think I've got a set of 6 inch wheels off one of my dad's old Crown Vic's. I'll paint 'em white and then the 205/75R15's will have room to breathe! The stock 4.5 inch wide wheels were the reason I was thinking of the 185/80R15's, but Diamond Back says they're out of stock for a while.

Diamond Back lists 205/75R15 Firestones, name intact on the sidewall, and a 1.3 inch whitewall. 1 inch and 1.6 inch are also listed. Might find a tire off the shelf with a 1 inch stripe...

Comment

I was in our local BigO tire store a couple of weeks ago and they had some Cooper tires (I think they were Trendsetters?) in 205x75x15 with the narrow white walls. They were around $100 or so apiece as I recall. I believe they were made in USA.
                      Dean

CLEM

Comment

That would be exactly why I said "LATE '63's", as only the brochure prototype cars, and a very few early '63's actually HAD those strange U.S. Royals with the narrow white wall at the rim.

Until a few years ago, I had a set of well worn ones, I saved for samples or re-treading. There COULD have been some Firestones like that, but mine were U.S. Royal, not a common tire on a Studebaker, but they were Factory installed.
                        I can't be absolutely sure, but I think the NOS sets of 6.00x15s and 6.50x15s I had with the odd whitewall were Firestones. I don't think I had any US Royals.
                        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I have owned a few sets of these whitewalls (from the rim). I remember U.S.Royal and some other brand, maybe Dunlop, but not sure. My 1963 Cruiser,23K miles from the original family, still had the original spare and it was one of those whitewalls and I do not remember it as being a very early car. I have worked on and seen other 1963 Larks with those tires, but probably not in 40 years. I sold my 1963 Daytona hardtop with a set of those whitewalls. My point is, I disagree with the "very few early '63's" part.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I lookede again at my build sheet and I was wrong: Whitewalls are listed, just on a separate line from Dunlop!

Now I just need to find out what size and style whitewall was on the Dunlops sitting at South Bend in Sept. '63! I know the true wide whitewall was in the tire store bargain bin by then. Some tires had the whitewall still starting at the rim, some about an inch away from the rim. The width of the sidewall ranged from 3/4 inch up to about 1.6 inch.

My thought is 1.3 inch whitewall about an inch off the rim. It matches somew of the photos I've seen and doesn't look like I got the tires at Wal-Mart...

Comment

You do understand that in the most critical International Meet judging, to my knowledge no one will care within reason how far from the rim the whitewall is, or how wide. It will be looked at as correct if narrow White or Black, incorrect with Wide White Walls, that's about it. The Brand does not need to match the Production Order, and you do not have to display one.

And Dunlop is unlikely to have a P205X75R15 available at all in a Street or Touring (non-off-road) tire, let alone a narrow White Wall.
                              StudeRich
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X