PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump heat shield

Mr Mike
04-15-2007, 05:44 PM
Hi All,
My '60 Hawk 289 w/4bbl suffers from run-on after a steady hiway run. I believe the fuel is getting too hot because of the close proximity of the pump to the exhaust manifold because the problem is less severe if there is some "easy" city driving before shutdown, allowing the engine to cool down. I believe I've seen something about a heat shield for the fuel pump but couldn't find anything when I searched the forum nor have I been able to find anything in the chassis parts catalog.
Also, I just changed the plugs and wires and there was a noticeable improvement in how the engine ran. Reading the plugs revealed that 6 of the plugs were a white ashy while a couple were a dark brown. The wires were bad, poor connections, on the dark brown plugs so they should be OK now. However, the ashy white indicates they're running on the hot side. This car was originally delivered to WY, 2000 - 3000 feet higher elevation than eastern SD. Would the factory have used different size carb jets or would the dealer have been likely to have changed them to accomodate the elevation? Does anyone know what the "standard" jet size was for the WCFB?
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Mike

kurtruk
04-15-2007, 07:04 PM
RE: Heat shield.

You may be thinking of the fuel pump heat shields installed on Champion and (6 cyl) Commander engines. A good tech article and drawing of same appeared in TW many years ago. The subject has been addressed on the forum a few times as well. They often get discarded when changing fuel pumps. SI (?) sells reproductions of same.

KURTRUK
(read it backwards;))

BShaw
04-15-2007, 08:16 PM
My 60 Hawk suffered with a run-on and a hot-start problem until I did two things:

1. Insulated the line from the fuel pump to the carb (off-the-shelf silver woven fabric "tube" from a local hot rod shop)

2. Stopped using fuel containing ethanol (MN allows non-ethanol 92 octane for vintage vehicles, boats and lawn tractors).

No problem since.

BShaw,Webmaster
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h53/StudeRobert/StudeWebService-small.gif
60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
Woodbury, Minnesota