Rediscovered old photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rediscovered old photos

Recently, I submitted a claim to the VA for problems related to exposure to agent orange while I was in Vietnam. Even after submitting my DD214 which shows my combat status including two medals specific to Vietnam service, they requested more proof that I was in Vietnam! (go figure) I found a copy of my original orders to Vietnam and my discharge papers at Travis AFB, Ca. when I got back to the states. I included pictures of me at Ton Son Nhut, hanging out the cockpit of a C130 (Puff the Magic Dragon) gunship, clowning around in the cockpit of a Huey and a couple of pics I took while we were being fired on. Hope that's enough!

While looking for some of my old photos and records, I ran across these old pictures that I thought I had lost. I have used this picture in my avatar but it had been reduced almost too small to be discernible. So I now have it to scan back as a larger picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	48 & B-17-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1732236

The second was the view from my front yard before it became infested with the vermin some people call "development" across the road. Oh well, I guess they have to live somewhere. However, this view is gone forever.

I have been looking for a collared shirt with Studebaker prints without any luck. So, I am thinking about using these pictures and using my computer to make "iron on transfers" to put on a casual shirt rather than a "T" shirt. Have any of you tried this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	48 BZ CPE AT HOME.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1732237
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Nice pictures!

Thanks for serving, I appreciate it! Good luck with your claim!
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

First and foremost, let me thank you for your heroic duty. There will always be debates about the war itself, but that's a separate issue: you were called, and you served. You will forever be a hero because of that. The way some human filth mistreated our Veterans upon their return was more than contemptible, and every one of them has or will answer to their Maker for that. For me and mine, you have my undying respect!

As for the transfers, I have to say thumbs down. We have tried them in the past. Easy enough to make, but they didn't come out that sharp, and didn't last through even one wash. Basically a waste of ink and a shirt.

I will say this was about 4 or 5 years ago. Maybe the kits and inks have improved by now. But we had no luck whatsoever with them.
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I gotta say, nice pictures and thankyou for your service. My grandfather was in Korea and the VA has been giving him a hard time with his surgrries. He has been delayed for all sorts of corny reasons, and it cost him a lot of time he could have enjoyed on his boat or without pain. Once the doctor was "sick" and the surgery was delayed two months. It is like the VA is trying to see if he will die first so they won't have to pay for anything. Just goes to show what Obamacare will be like...
        Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
        Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
        Lizella, GA

Comment

Me three on the appreciation wagon! All the best with the VA. You're going to need it.

Your Business Coupe' is really a beauty! As to the develoupment thing, yeah, I watched my home town vanish under develoupment. I kind of feel like the fellow in What Happened To Charles Vermont. Only, my home town really did exist once... I bet you can sympathise with the characters in Over The Hedge.
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

See if you can contact Bondo Bill on the shirt. He is a pro on stuff like that and I'm sure he can give you advice, even might be talked into doing it. Great guy, has a 1956 Hawk.

Thanks for serving in Viet Nam. I lost a couple friends over there.

Comment

Available from the Studebaker National Museum but has no pocket:

The Studebaker National Museum Online Store is the place to shop for all of your Studebaker related merchandise needs....
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                Available from the Studebaker National Museum but has no pocket:

https://studebakermuseum.org/store/a...p-shirt_00032/
                Thanks Rockne, I'll consider that one. I wish it had older cars, but at least it is all Studebaker.

I appreciate the kind words from all you folks regarding my Vietnam service, but I certainly was no hero. I spent most of my time daydreaming about roaming the Carolina hills hunting and fishing. The times we came under fire, I would hunker down in the bunker and try my best to shrink down to the size of a flea. I thought how funny it was that as a kid I always wanted to be big. When the VC was lobing those chinese rockets at us...I couldn't get small enough!
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Understood, Mr. Clary. I'm sure everyone else was doing the same. Doesn't change the fact that you served all the same- not yelling and hiding like a cowardly scumbag in the safe arms of the USA, you were doing what you were called upon to do. While I appreciate your modesty, I will not accept it

If you, or anyone, has any success with one of those DIY iron-on kits, do let us know!
                  Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                  Romans 15:13
                  Deuteronomy 31:6
                  Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                    Understood, Mr. Clary. I'm sure everyone else was doing the same. Doesn't change the fact that you served all the same- not yelling and hiding like a cowardly scumbag in the safe arms of the USA, you were doing what you were called upon to do. While I appreciate your modesty, I will not accept it

If you, or anyone, has any success with one of those DIY iron-on kits, do let us know!
                    Well said.
                    Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
                    Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
                    Lizella, GA

Comment

I "fought the war" in an air conditioned radar shop an an aircraft carrier... but went where I was told & tried to keep my nose clean. I am a former VFW Service Officer and those claims are a pure headache. GOOD LUCK!
                      I know a place where you can get that photo printed on fabric. It is the same outfit that makes the material I am selling with Studebakers on it. An example is at www.big6sdc.com. Look inthe items for sale area. (I haven't figured out this adding a photo to a post yet.) You can contact me via that website.

Comment

John,You have my total respect and appreciation for your service in Vietnam.The Aussie Vietnam Vets were treated poorly as well,but I'm glad to say that with the passing of time with both our countries involved in trying to keep peace worldwide,the appreciation by the community has improved greatly. I hope your claim goes well.
                        Interestingly enough,I saw a 1950 or 51 Studebaker sedan photographed in Hanoi in 1967.It was in the main street and part of a story in Time Magazine.Studebaker truly was a "World" car.
                        A.C.Moisley

Comment

Working...
                        X