PDA

View Full Version : PORTLAND SWAP IS OVER RATED & PARKING/FOOD $$$$

ED PUCIATA
04-15-2007, 12:23 PM
If any one is thinking of ever attending the portland,oregon car swap-meet ,,,,think again ,,,,$10.00 to park in a mud hole.....then you wait for an old school bus....15 min ride.... must i say more ?

$5.00/hot dogs,,,,$5.00/beers... an a overpriced.... 41 stude' coupe for $$$$$$$$$$$$ 22,000 +

The only thing good about it .... overcast and no rain.... which is rare in portland...................lol

Most people on the bus called the $10.000000....parking a rip off!

another good thing, I found an almost new 60" CORVAIR....LIKE NEW

Does anyone know something about CORVAIRS BACK IN THE 60"S ??

I think the pomona(la) swap is much better... an it happens 3/4 times a year.... ummmmmmmmmmmm an life is a beach !down there(LOL)

Scott
04-15-2007, 03:18 PM
Yes, my father purchased the first new 1960 Corvair in Minnesota (he had earlier worked at that dealership, I believe). He said there is no question right out of the box it was THE worst car he ever owned. Ultra poor mileage, underpowered and dangerously unbalanced with the engine in the back. He ended up spinning around on two different occasions on an icy highway so he was travelling backward at better than 30 or 40 MPH. He had traded a nice 1956 Chevy Belair with 4 speed and four barrel carb. for that Corvair. The good news was they sold it to him when he was 20 years old, which was underage for a car purchase in Minnesota at the time. They never asked him for his age or proof of it, so when he demanded they take the car back and they found out they had illegally sold the car to someone underage they had to take it back!! So he had the last laugh, but he couldn't get the 1956 Belair back; by then it was gone.

Scott
04-15-2007, 03:18 PM
Yes, my father purchased the first new 1960 Corvair in Minnesota (he had earlier worked at that dealership, I believe). He said there is no question right out of the box it was THE worst car he ever owned. Ultra poor mileage, underpowered and dangerously unbalanced with the engine in the back. He ended up spinning around on two different occasions on an icy highway so he was travelling backward at better than 30 or 40 MPH. He had traded a nice 1956 Chevy Belair with 4 speed and four barrel carb. for that Corvair. The good news was they sold it to him when he was 20 years old, which was underage for a car purchase in Minnesota at the time. They never asked him for his age or proof of it, so when he demanded they take the car back and they found out they had illegally sold the car to someone underage they had to take it back!! So he had the last laugh, but he couldn't get the 1956 Belair back; by then it was gone.

blackhawk61
04-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Aren't they all like that ?....Every large swap I ever went to Had overpriced parking and food.......and they always price cars more than they think they can get...........But it's fun ...and I keep going !

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q55/chevpartsman/61HawkChevypartsmanreduce.jpg
Lewisville,NC
(formerly chevpartsman)

blackhawk61
04-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Aren't they all like that ?....Every large swap I ever went to Had overpriced parking and food.......and they always price cars more than they think they can get...........But it's fun ...and I keep going !

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q55/chevpartsman/61HawkChevypartsmanreduce.jpg
Lewisville,NC
(formerly chevpartsman)

jjones
04-15-2007, 04:47 PM
Owned a Corvair once, for a little over a month. The first problem was when the rear engine mount broke, dropping the rear of the engine in my girlfriend's driveway. That cost me a girlfriend but might have been a good thing, looking at her during our 40th high school reunion a while back. The second problem occurred when I swerved to miss a coyote at about 50 MPH. Next thing I know that damn car is going backwards down the road at about 50 MPH. Wound up in an irrigated cotton field, unhurt but scared s-less. The third problem was finding somebody to buy the thing--I lost a couple of hundred dollars--a lot of money back then.

jj

jjones
04-15-2007, 04:47 PM
Owned a Corvair once, for a little over a month. The first problem was when the rear engine mount broke, dropping the rear of the engine in my girlfriend's driveway. That cost me a girlfriend but might have been a good thing, looking at her during our 40th high school reunion a while back. The second problem occurred when I swerved to miss a coyote at about 50 MPH. Next thing I know that damn car is going backwards down the road at about 50 MPH. Wound up in an irrigated cotton field, unhurt but scared s-less. The third problem was finding somebody to buy the thing--I lost a couple of hundred dollars--a lot of money back then.

jj

rockne10
04-15-2007, 05:30 PM
quote:Does anyone know something about CORVAIRS BACK IN THE 60"S ??
When I was nine years old we moved in to a house two blocks from the residence of Don Yenko. He would bring his creations home to fine tune them in his garage before they were shipped out. I was just a kid and had no idea what all the noise was about.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

rockne10
04-15-2007, 05:30 PM
quote:Does anyone know something about CORVAIRS BACK IN THE 60"S ??
When I was nine years old we moved in to a house two blocks from the residence of Don Yenko. He would bring his creations home to fine tune them in his garage before they were shipped out. I was just a kid and had no idea what all the noise was about.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

kurtruk
04-15-2007, 06:28 PM
Parking at Turlock swap meets is always FREE.:D
Didn't care for how they did the food at January's meet. Brought in an outside vendor with very little selection.

KURTRUK
(read it backwards;))

kurtruk
04-15-2007, 06:28 PM
Parking at Turlock swap meets is always FREE.:D
Didn't care for how they did the food at January's meet. Brought in an outside vendor with very little selection.

KURTRUK
(read it backwards;))

Roscomacaw
04-16-2007, 12:33 AM
Kurt, that depends on WHERE you park at Turdlock. I paid to park this past meet.[}:)]
But I don't share Ed's feelings. Heh - a Swap Meet is a crapshoot. There's no "guarantee" what you're looking for at a price you like is gonna be there waiting for you!
Ed, I've NEVER gone to a swap meet where I didn't find at least some deals I KNEW I could make money on. In fact, at Turlock about 3 or 4 years ago, I ended up making several hundred bucks profit OVER the 40 or 50 bucks I spent on stuff to sell. It's ALL a matter of perspective and expectations.;)

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/906179/2006/12/7/truckonhill3.jpg

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Roscomacaw
04-16-2007, 12:33 AM
Kurt, that depends on WHERE you park at Turdlock. I paid to park this past meet.[}:)]
But I don't share Ed's feelings. Heh - a Swap Meet is a crapshoot. There's no "guarantee" what you're looking for at a price you like is gonna be there waiting for you!
Ed, I've NEVER gone to a swap meet where I didn't find at least some deals I KNEW I could make money on. In fact, at Turlock about 3 or 4 years ago, I ended up making several hundred bucks profit OVER the 40 or 50 bucks I spent on stuff to sell. It's ALL a matter of perspective and expectations.;)

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Dick Steinkamp
04-16-2007, 09:31 AM
I've gone to the Portland swap meet for over 15 straight years now. Wouldn't miss it. There are over 5,000 sellers there (including those at PIR). 50,000 buyers. We stay in RV's on Jantzen Island and do the short walk over the Columbia to the Expo grounds. No parking hassle or expense.

All swap meets that I have been to have overpriced food. This one is the ONLY one I know of that offers you a sit down, inside, catered meal...including drinks and desert...for $10. Quite a bargain in my opinion.

You must have missed Gord's '41 Stude coupe that he sold for 10% of the high priced one. Quite a deal for someone.

Sold my '46 M15. Bought some rusty metal. Had a great time :D

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

Dick Steinkamp
04-16-2007, 09:31 AM
I've gone to the Portland swap meet for over 15 straight years now. Wouldn't miss it. There are over 5,000 sellers there (including those at PIR). 50,000 buyers. We stay in RV's on Jantzen Island and do the short walk over the Columbia to the Expo grounds. No parking hassle or expense.

All swap meets that I have been to have overpriced food. This one is the ONLY one I know of that offers you a sit down, inside, catered meal...including drinks and desert...for $10. Quite a bargain in my opinion.

You must have missed Gord's '41 Stude coupe that he sold for 10% of the high priced one. Quite a deal for someone.

Sold my '46 M15. Bought some rusty metal. Had a great time :D

Roscomacaw
04-16-2007, 10:08 AM
Corvairs![:0] I've owned a couple. Had a '62 Monza coupe and a 60-something Greebriar van. I never had either of them treat me badly. I DID have fun with the Monza when we had ice storms in Georgia! There was a huge parking lot near where I lived and I'd purposely throw that car into a spin to see how many times it would go around[}:)] Get it going a bit an keep feedin' the throttle to prolong the twirl. Trouble was, after about the second circuit, the centrifugal force would starve the carbs out:(
There's still a few nice-looking examples running around town here. Saw a pretty, early, yellow coupe while at a stoplight the other day.:)

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Roscomacaw
04-16-2007, 10:08 AM
Corvairs![:0] I've owned a couple. Had a '62 Monza coupe and a 60-something Greebriar van. I never had either of them treat me badly. I DID have fun with the Monza when we had ice storms in Georgia! There was a huge parking lot near where I lived and I'd purposely throw that car into a spin to see how many times it would go around[}:)] Get it going a bit an keep feedin' the throttle to prolong the twirl. Trouble was, after about the second circuit, the centrifugal force would starve the carbs out:(
There's still a few nice-looking examples running around town here. Saw a pretty, early, yellow coupe while at a stoplight the other day.:)

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

vegas paul
04-16-2007, 10:27 AM
I restored a 62 Spyder Convertible back in the 80's. Fun car in southern California, never really took it on the highway or long trips, just a beach town car. Stock turbo-charged, lots of noise and a little smelly. A white Corvair convertible looked like a bathtub on wheels.

Las Vegas, NV
'51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/vegas_paul/graciestude.jpghttp://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/vegas_paul/1462673_2_350.jpg

vegas paul
04-16-2007, 10:27 AM
I restored a 62 Spyder Convertible back in the 80's. Fun car in southern California, never really took it on the highway or long trips, just a beach town car. Stock turbo-charged, lots of noise and a little smelly. A white Corvair convertible looked like a bathtub on wheels.

Las Vegas, NV
'51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/vegas_paul/graciestude.jpghttp://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/vegas_paul/1462673_2_350.jpg

autocrat
04-16-2007, 02:15 PM
I'm in Corsa as well as SDC. Fun cars. Prices are usually very reasonable, especially for GM products. Parts are still readily available. The 60 Corvair has a one-year-only motor and other minor idiosyncracies, including a standard gasoline heater. Weak spots on early Corvairs are the rear swing-axle bearings (I believe now reproduced), leaky pushrod tube O rings , (solved with Viton O ring replacements), and the quirky handling noted above from the rear swing axles. Similar to early VW, had one U joint. Partially corrected in 64 with a transverse spring limiting axle travel. Adaptable to Early Models. 65 and up Corvairs used a 2 U-joint axle setup which solved the problem, but cannot be bolted on earlier Corvairs.

Autocrat

autocrat
04-16-2007, 02:15 PM
I'm in Corsa as well as SDC. Fun cars. Prices are usually very reasonable, especially for GM products. Parts are still readily available. The 60 Corvair has a one-year-only motor and other minor idiosyncracies, including a standard gasoline heater. Weak spots on early Corvairs are the rear swing-axle bearings (I believe now reproduced), leaky pushrod tube O rings , (solved with Viton O ring replacements), and the quirky handling noted above from the rear swing axles. Similar to early VW, had one U joint. Partially corrected in 64 with a transverse spring limiting axle travel. Adaptable to Early Models. 65 and up Corvairs used a 2 U-joint axle setup which solved the problem, but cannot be bolted on earlier Corvairs.

Autocrat

lstude
04-16-2007, 03:59 PM
I have a funny Corvair story since this thread is already off topic.

In the fall of 1959 I went with some friends to the Richmond racetrack, now Richmond International Raceway (RIR). Back then it was a dirt track. The local Chevy dealer brought a new Corvair out there. They had just come out. It had rained the day before and the track was very muddy. They announced that the rear wheel drive Corvair could go anywhere and they pulled it onto the track before the race. It got mired up to it's axles and they had to get a wrecker to pull it out. The crowd just howled with laughter.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l288/lstude/Mein64Daytonasm.jpghttp://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l288/lstude/52inyardsm-1.jpg

lstude
04-16-2007, 03:59 PM
I have a funny Corvair story since this thread is already off topic.

In the fall of 1959 I went with some friends to the Richmond racetrack, now Richmond International Raceway (RIR). Back then it was a dirt track. The local Chevy dealer brought a new Corvair out there. They had just come out. It had rained the day before and the track was very muddy. They announced that the rear wheel drive Corvair could go anywhere and they pulled it onto the track before the race. It got mired up to it's axles and they had to get a wrecker to pull it out. The crowd just howled with laughter.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l288/lstude/Mein64Daytonasm.jpghttp://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l288/lstude/52inyardsm-1.jpg

gordr
04-16-2007, 11:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by ED PUCIATA

If any one is thinking of ever attending the portland,oregon car swap-meet ,,,,think again ,,,,$10.00 to park in a mud hole.....then you wait for an old school bus....15 min ride.... must i say more ?

$5.00/hot dogs,,,,$5.00/beers... an a overpriced.... 41 stude' coupe for $$$$$$$$$$$$ 22,000 +

The only thing good about it .... overcast and no rain.... which is rare in portland...................lol

I think the pomona(la) swap is much better... an it happens 3/4 times a year.... ummmmmmmmmmmm an life is a beach !down there(LOL)

Golly, Ed, I sure had no complaints.

There are actually several parking areas served by the shuttle bus system, and some of them are paved. You can park at the Portland Meadows (horse track)lot for $8.00 all day, and get right on the shuttle bus there. I stayed at the Motel 6, which backs onto that parking lot, so I could walk out the back door of the motel building and hop on a bus. And the buses are free, too, though the drivers accept tips.

I CAN tell you there is no way you can park in downtown Vancouver, or downtown Calgary, or downtown Portland for $8.00 for all day. Calgary is $4.00 PER HOUR at meters downtown now.

And the swap is held at an event venue, the Portland Expo Center. Those venues make their money off licensing the concessions, so food and beverages are ALWAYS high. Been to any ball games or hockey games lately? At least you can pack your own food and drinks into the swap; try that at a movie theater and see how that goes down.[B)]

I saw the $22,000 '41 Champion, and talked to the owner for some time. I think he was just testing the water, so to speak, and he might have taken considerably less for the car if a serious offer had come his way. I set a fairly high initial price on my '41, too, and came down some the second day, and sold it for a few hundred less than than my second price. But I made out OK.

I've been attending the Portland Swap meet for nigh on 20 years now, and I sure don't regret the money I spent on the travel, or the accomodations, or the parking, or the food. I consider it to be mental health days for a gearhead, and waaay cheaper than psychotherapy.:D

There ARE bargains to be found there; they just ain't necessarily on the things that you are looking for. But you can also learn a whole lot of interesting new stuff, and see neat machinery and cars you never even knew existed, and make new friendships with other people who share your interests. Too bad you made some mountains out of molehills, and let them get in the way of your having a good time.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

gordr
04-16-2007, 11:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by ED PUCIATA

Golly, Ed, I sure had no complaints.

There are actually several parking areas served by the shuttle bus system, and some of them are paved. You can park at the Portland Meadows (horse track)lot for $8.00 all day, and get right on the shuttle bus there. I stayed at the Motel 6, which backs onto that parking lot, so I could walk out the back door of the motel building and hop on a bus. And the buses are free, too, though the drivers accept tips.

I CAN tell you there is no way you can park in downtown Vancouver, or downtown Calgary, or downtown Portland for $8.00 for all day. Calgary is $4.00 PER HOUR at meters downtown now.

And the swap is held at an event venue, the Portland Expo Center. Those venues make their money off licensing the concessions, so food and beverages are ALWAYS high. Been to any ball games or hockey games lately? At least you can pack your own food and drinks into the swap; try that at a movie theater and see how that goes down.[B)]

I saw the $22,000 '41 Champion, and talked to the owner for some time. I think he was just testing the water, so to speak, and he might have taken considerably less for the car if a serious offer had come his way. I set a fairly high initial price on my '41, too, and came down some the second day, and sold it for a few hundred less than than my second price. But I made out OK.

I've been attending the Portland Swap meet for nigh on 20 years now, and I sure don't regret the money I spent on the travel, or the accomodations, or the parking, or the food. I consider it to be mental health days for a gearhead, and waaay cheaper than psychotherapy.:D

There ARE bargains to be found there; they just ain't necessarily on the things that you are looking for. But you can also learn a whole lot of interesting new stuff, and see neat machinery and cars you never even knew existed, and make new friendships with other people who share your interests. Too bad you made some mountains out of molehills, and let them get in the way of your having a good time.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

oltrknut
04-17-2007, 08:25 AM
JUST MEETING ALL THE PEOPLE AND VIEWING ALL THE CARS SEEMS TO ME TO BE WORTH THE FEE COLLECTED FOR THAT ADVENTURE, LET ALONE THE OPPORTUNITY TO VIEW THE 1913 STUDEBAKER FOR SALE AT THAT SHOW, WHAT A TREAT. ALLEN

http://i162.photobucket

oltrknut
04-17-2007, 08:25 AM
JUST MEETING ALL THE PEOPLE AND VIEWING ALL THE CARS SEEMS TO ME TO BE WORTH THE FEE COLLECTED FOR THAT ADVENTURE, LET ALONE THE OPPORTUNITY TO VIEW THE 1913 STUDEBAKER FOR SALE AT THAT SHOW, WHAT A TREAT. ALLEN

http://i162.photobucket

Dick Steinkamp
04-17-2007, 10:02 AM
The highpoint for me, of course, was lunch with Allen and Irv :D ;).

Seriously Allen, it was great to bump into you guys there. Always a good time [8D].

For those of you that don't know Allen (oldtrknut) his shop in the Spokane, WA, area does restorations and builds hot rods. Beautiful work [:p]. They had a couple of cars at Omaha. If you think you can't afford a pro done car, check with Allen...you just might be surprised. [:0]

Dick Steinkamp
04-17-2007, 10:02 AM
The highpoint for me, of course, was lunch with Allen and Irv :D ;).

Seriously Allen, it was great to bump into you guys there. Always a good time [8D].

For those of you that don't know Allen (oldtrknut) his shop in the Spokane, WA, area does restorations and builds hot rods. Beautiful work [:p]. They had a couple of cars at Omaha. If you think you can't afford a pro done car, check with Allen...you just might be surprised. [:0]