Torque Specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque Specs

The westfield Fire Dept is putting the head back on their 53 Studebaker Fire Truck, and asked if I had the torques specs. i do not have my books here at the shop. Anybody have them handy? It's a 6 cylinder 226 cu in

thanks

jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

80 to 85# of torque Jim but they really have to have the sequence too as that is equally important. From looking at it it is sort of a convaluted sequence and I don't know how to get it put up here.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Does the reference indicate if the fastener are assemble dry or with a lubricant. The addition of lubricant will drastically affect the resulting stress load on the assemble parts. The function of torque is to load the assembled parts correctly so the proper lubrication (as specified) or lack there of is just as crucial at the torque value. The resulting load on the assembly will vary greatly from the engineered design if the wrong lubrication is applied. Hope this helps.

Comment

Shop manual says to make sure threads are clean on bolts and in block. It states head bolts are to be dipped in motor oil or graphite paste.Also says to use a sealer on head gasket and retorque once before starting and once after warming engine to 170 degrees.
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
          Shop manual says to make sure threads are clean on bolts and in block. It states head bolts are to be dipped in motor oil or graphite paste.Also says to use a sealer on head gasket and retorque once before starting and once after warming engine to 170 degrees.
          Excellent information, I'd suggest using the motor oil because what passed for graphite paste in 1953 will be harder to determine. The retorque after starting with a temperature specified indicates the designers gave this assemble a lot of consideration "give them more than the expect".

Comment

Thanks, I have told them to "step up and buy a shop manual" <G> I relayed the info.
            The story behind this Fire Truck is it's the "sister truck" to the one that the Cicero Fire Dept. still has, and is in working condition, (parades only) anyway, i had heard about this truck a few years ago. It was sold to a guy that lived half way between Westfield & Kokomo Indiana. He had it in his garage, (or shop) and finally needed the space. He pushed it outside for a couple years, and was going to scrap it. Well along came about 5 of the current westfield Firemen and they bought it back. They have it in a "city owned" buildinf in westfield and are working on it when they have time. I have not been able to see it "yet" but I will bring a camera when I do.
            The Westfield Truck & the Cicero truck, supposedly were bought a the same time by the Carmel Fire dept. They sold one to the guy half way between Westfield & kokomo, the other to Cicero. The Cicero truck was restored by a fellow SDC'er in South Bend.
            I have invited Cicero & Westfield to the Indy chapter meetings, but so far, nobody has showed up!

Jim
            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
            their Memorials!

Comment

Any good engine rebuilder will run a tap through each and race every threaded bolt hole in and around the block to clean out any rust and crud and to test how many threads are actually left from any past bolt stripping. Just hot tanking it doesn't work, so I hope they did that first. I was always taught to start in the middle, slowly, incrementally, crossing as you go to the outside, eventually getting to 85 foot pounds. I first ran my recent 259 engine from the builder for five minutes, then re-torqued them in that manner. They were only at 45 when I started! Do you think a 6 cylinder would be that different torque-wise, Jim?

Comment

Working...
              X