Reference car needed for 1964 convertible top installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reference car needed for 1964 convertible top installation

Forum member Joe Harris e-mailed with the following question. I cannot assist beyond the detailed instructions in the Shop Manual. Can anyone else help? Thanks. BP

Bob:

Do you know of anyone who would have some pictures of the top installation on a 64 Daytona?

I have taken my project to an old time shop but they are questioning how the rear skirt of the top is attached to the car body. I got the car from an estate and other that the top frame everything else was gone. I think we have gathered up the correct parts but need a better understanding of how the top installs.

There is not anyone close to me with an example to look at, that I am aware of. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Yes, I have the Shop Manual and Parts Manual.

I really appreciate you lending your time and experience to the Studebaker world.

Joe Harris
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

The rear of the top is held down by the trim pieces which grab the black strip. There is also a tacking strip on each corner extending from the third screw to the seventh screw as seen in the photo where the top is pulled back. This is a replacement top.
    Attached Files

34 Studebaker Street Rod (completed)
    55 Speedster (in work)
    63 Lark R2 (completed, 63K miles)
    64 Daytona CNV (completed, 63K miles)
    64 Avanti R2 (completed)
    85 Avanti(blackout trim, 10K miles)
    89 Avanti CNV (19K miles)

Comment

Bob P. - Am I losing it? Don't anyone answer that question <G>. IIRC, you have/own a 1964 convertible. Why can't that be a reference? That is probably why Joe contacted you. Maybe the key is "top installation" versus "installed top".
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

OK, Gary; top installation. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

GARY L. you really need to look at something that will divert your interest from being the SDC forum's every post copy editor to perhaps helping Bob Andrews chastise errant posters for posting in the wrong discussion group. :-)

Comment

Working...
          X