55 president...the work never ends...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 president...the work never ends...

Finally got the State sedan up on stands so I could put the new exhaust system on (purchased from Parker Pipes). A rusted up y pipe was all that was left of the old system. After I got it cut off I noticed the heater hoses were shot, so I pulled all 18 feet of it off. Then I noticed the studs on the exhaust manifolds were in poor condition, so they need to come off too......it never ends.....

After I got the passenger side off I saw that the little metal post which holds the end of the spring on heat riser valve was rusted off, letting the valve flop around (the shaft is free & the set screw which holds the counterweight even came out with no problem). So, I'll have to fix that too.

Pulling the drivers side will have to wait for tomorrow. With the power steering unit in the way, it's going to be a pain to deal with..... Hopefully the old studs will come out with some help from mr. hot wrench.
    Mike Sal

The last one worked on I started with the front bumper bolts and worked my way to the rear bumper bolts. Still a work in progress.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

It's a great start. I saw mine off to the tranny shop this morning. After 100 miles the heads were just torqued and the valves set. Purred like kitten, but wouldn't find a gear. No problem. It's in good hands. Had the supposedlee tasteful graphics applied to the door and they ignored the lines of the car! It's $20 per side so a a refit is gonna happen. I have your sorrounds in my living room, I'll get them there when you need 'em.
      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

got the manifolds sandblasted & prepped for some hi temp paint, but forgot to buy the new studs today while in town. Also picked up a kazillion hose clamps for the new heater hoses. Hope to have the exhaust all buttoned up by the end of the weekend.

I also noticed that the guy who was hired to replace the brake lines didn't position the junction block which holds the brake switch properly, so the wires don't reach (I wondered why the brake lites didn't work....). He's a stude guy too....I can't figure out why he didn't fix it.

As soon as the car is quiet to drive, i'll be pulling the nose & drivers fender off so i can replace the rusty fender. I bought all new hood bumpers a couple weeks ago when I was at SI. Warlaw, send me your address & just let me know your shipping costs & I'll zip a payment to you.

Comment

Working...
        X