Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy

Hello All,
    I am totally green to the forums, just joined SDC yesterday. Glad to have a place to meet and lern from experts. I just purchased a 1961 GT Hawk and am looking at what I think will be about a five year project. I am in Washington state and have always had a facination with Studebakers. I am going to looking for all kinds of help so I wan you all to get ready to have a new guy bugging you for guidence and direction.

Welcome to the forum. I just completed a four year restoration on a 55K and this forum was indispensable. Lots of opinions but all well intended. The SDC vendors are great to deal with. Where are you located?
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Welcome! Quite a few Washingtonians on this forum. Where do you live, on the wet side of the state, or the dry side?
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Welcome Farrier. You'll find the info you need here.
        I'll throw out the first tip. There is a 1961 hawk. And a 1962 GT Hawk. But no such designation as a 61 GT.

Comment

Originally posted by Michidan View Post
          Welcome Farrier. You'll find the info you need here.
          I'll throw out the first tip. There is a 1961 hawk. And a 1962 GT Hawk. But no such designation as a 61 GT.
          Actually, there was a magazine ad with James Mason and his 1961 Gran Turismo Hawk. It was discussed in this thread some time before you came on board- http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ht=James+Mason
          Welcome to the group. You have my favorite finned Hawk.
          Last edited by 53k; 08-18-2010, 10:28 AM.
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Welcome to the Forum Farrier 1951, you will enjoy the experience of owning one of South Bend's finest and belonging to the SDC. As Dan said, you either have a 1961 Hawk or 1962 Gran Turismo Hawk.

GOT FINS? '61 Hawks are Coupes with fins, GT's are Hardtops without fins.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I am in Southwest Washington state, near Battle Ground. You?
              Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
              Welcome to the forum. I just completed a four year restoration on a 55K and this forum was indispensable. Lots of opinions but all well intended. The SDC vendors are great to deal with. Where are you located?

Comment

Wet side....and I mistyped. I have a 62 GT Hawk.
                Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                Welcome! Quite a few Washingtonians on this forum. Where do you live, on the wet side of the state, or the dry side?

Comment

Yeah I mistyped. Gotta start wearing tha darn glasses all the time. I have a 62 GT Hawk. No fins. My favorite is the Silver Hawk style but I "thihk" I got a pretty good deal on the GT.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. There is indeed a lot of good info available here. Glad to hear you have already joined the SDC. Have you found and joined your local chapter? Often your local chapter has help right there nearby. Also they have events and meetings where you can easily meet other Studebaker people. Good to have you hangin' out with us here.
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by Farrier1951 View Post
                      I have a 62 GT Hawk.
                      With all due respect to the prior gorgeous Hawks, the GT is my favorite.
                      You've already joined SDC. GREAT! That's usually the first thing we recommend.
                      Second, procure a set of Chassis, Body and Shop Manuals, available for $136 in print or $24.95 on CD-ROM.
                      Third, read this:

Oh! And, did I neglect to say...WELCOME!
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I am figuring a five year project. What with budget and finding/creating parts.

Comment

Wow thank you! So where do I buy the cd-rom? I'll get up to speed on this forum thing ASAP. Don't want to be a drag on everyone.I was reading the post about being leery of people trying to get parts...have I commited a faux pau? Just trying to get to know the ropes and such. Anyway I am headed to the web address you sent and thanks again.
                          Jim

Comment

New Guy

My name is Jim. I am in a little burg named Yacolt, Washington. Bet you guessed, I am a farrier. Thanks a lot to all of you who responded to my post. I am going to look into a local chapter but it seems that the nearest is actually in Oregon in the Portland area. Thanks again. There will be about a kazillion qustion to follow!

Comment

Originally posted by Farrier1951 View Post
                              So where do I buy the cd-rom?
                              On page 18 here:

Also available from many of our other fine vendors.
                              Brad Johnson,
                              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X