1964 Daytona Conv in Sept 2010 Cars & Parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Daytona Conv in Sept 2010 Cars & Parts

The September 2010 Cars & Parts should be on newsstands by now; I received my subscriber's copy last week.

Therein is a nice, five-page spread on Neil Loughlin's Laguna Blue 1964 Daytona Convertible. The article contains a few errors, so know that they've been addressed, per this letter sent to Editor / Writer Bob Stevens earlier today. Bob is a good guy who likes Studes and the independents, so I wasn't about to beat him up or anything. I think he'll take the remarks in the proper vein. BP

Cars & Parts
    August 18, 2010
    Attention: Bob Stevens

Hi, Bob,

Thank you for the nice feature article on Neil Loughlin's 1964 Daytona convertible in the September 2010 Cars & Parts. I saw Neil's convertible and spoke with him about the restoration several years ago. I'm glad he still has the car and is enjoying it. It was certainly a labor of love, as far "gone" as it was when he began. As you say, it was well done by restorer Craig Piper of Westmoreland Studebaker.

I know you are a fan of the independents and have treated Studebaker more than fairly in the past, so I hope you'll receive the following remarks about the article in the proper vein, so to speak.

Studebaker of Canada's President Gordon Grundy personally had little to do with the December 1963 South Bend announcement of assembly operations being terminated in that city, but Mr. Grundy had everything to do with seeing to it that Studebaker of Canada's Hamilton, Ontario assembly plant was prepared to handle increased Studebaker production for the world by January 1, 1964. I might add that he and his team did an excellent job of that, too. Rather, the task of announcing South Bend assembly being terminated fell to Studebaker Corporation President Byers Burlingame, who made the announcement and fielded the subsequent tough questions in the United States while Team Grundy readied the Hamilton plant for additional output.

As you say, Hawk, Avanti, and truck production was discontinued with the production transfer to Hamilton on January 1, 1964. However, convertible and 2-door hardtop production was not. Indeed, contrary to the article, convertible production continued in Hamilton for the remainder of the 1964 model year. Of the 702 Daytona convertibles ultimately built during the 1964 model year, 286 (over 40%) were assembled in Hamilton.

The 6.00X15 (sixes) and 6.50X15 (V-8s) tire sizes cited in the article are for sedans, not the subject convertible or station wagons. Convertibles were all shod with 6.70X15 tires, presumably due to their heavier weight.

The 195 HP figure for the 259 V-8 required both the optional 4-barrel carburetor, as you state, plus the optional dual exhausts, as on the subject car. Later in the engines discussion, the R1 Avanti engine was cited as being rated at 255 HP. The correct figure is 240.

The R3 engine was rated at 335 HP, not the 330 cited. Even 335 was deceptively conservative at a time when horsepower figures were shamelessly optimistic. Stock R3 engines may be expected to easily produce closer to, if not over, 400 HP, as measured during that era. Further, the first paragraph on Page 44 leads the reader to believe R4 (not R3) engines were capable of producing 0-60 times in the 6-second area, which is not true. Only R3 engines had that capability...and it was legitimate!

One Page 42 caption states the new-for-1964 AM-FM radio became available "mid-year," but this is not true: AM-FM radios were available from Day One of 1964 production. Indeed, production data in front of me indicates three of the first ten 1964 Daytona convertibles had AM-FM radios. Those three cars were built August 12 and August 13, 1963, during the first full week of 1964 model year production, well before the 1964 models were introduced.

Finally, Studebaker's body numbering system at the time began with body #101, not the cited #100.

Again, Bob, I appreciate the nice spread you gave Neil's worthy convertible. Please know that these corrections are, of course, submitted with no offense intended.

Sincerely,

Bob Palma
    Technical Editor of the
    Studebaker Drivers Club's
    Turning Wheels

Last edited by BobPalma; 08-18-2010, 05:04 AM. Reason: Lines unexplainably ran together when posted! (???)
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Bob,

Here's how the article came about:

Fellow SDC member David King and I decided to drive our '64's (his is a Commander) to a cruise night in Milford Michigan last spring. While talking cars, a guy approached me asking if I would be interested in having my convertible photographed for Cars and Parts magazine. Photographer Al Rodgers shot the car on two evenings and took around 1000 photos. Very nice guy. His camera was very kind - I think the car looks better in the photos than in person. It was a fun experience. This is just another good reason to be out there driving our Studes. You never know what opportunity might come up. By the way, in the article they state that it is a "perfect" restoration. Nice comment but not true by a looong shot. I can show you lots of flaws. It doesn't matter though. It's still a fun car to drive. We just got back from showing it at the Krasl Art Center Concours in St. Joseph Michigan. We put another 400 miles on it for that show, most with the top down. I'll probably be out on Woodward (I'm in the Detroit area) with it tomorrow night. Keep driving those Studes!!
    Neil

1964 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Daytona Hardtop
    1962 Champ Truck
    1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

Thanks, Neil; good to have "the rest of the story," even though Paul Harvey is no longer with us. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
      X