Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just Bought a 1953 2R5

Hi Everyone,
    This past weekend I picked up a 1953 2R5. It's in pretty decent shape (at least to my eye) and runs. I'll be looking for lots of advice as I go through my fix up of my new hauler. A couple of questions off the bat:
    1. It looks as though my grille has a location for a crank starter. I can't see any area where that could have gotten to the engine, which leads me to believe that the 1953 did not have a crank starter and this grille is older than '53. Can anyone confirm of deny this?
    2. The rear Quarter Panels seem to be one piece construction with the rear fenders. Is this original on the '53 or do I have a rear body panel that is after market or fabricated?
    3. What issues are known for a '53? What should I be looking to fix up first?
    4. I'd like to throw a radio in the car (hidden) so that I can listen to some tunes while I'm taking it out for a spin. Does anyone have advice on adding a radio and speakers to a '53?

Like I said, I'm new to Studebaker but I grew up in South Bend and still live in the area so I'm very familiar with the history. I'm looking forward to spending some time getting to know my new toy and look for any advice any of you can give.

thanks,
    Adam

Hey Adam! I love Milano's Pizza! Good find on the Stude. Private email me sometime.

Comment

The grills had that crank hole , its most likely the original grill .
      Sounds like someone has filled seams on the box , the fenders should be seperate from the box and there should be a seam line feom front to back .
      Pictures would be nice .
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

We like pictures.... Here's my 2R5

You might want to consider converting to 12 volts. It will give you better options for a radio.

Join your local club if you haven't already. You will open yourself up to a wealth of information (and parts)

Welcome
        Jon Stalnaker
        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'll post some pictures tonight.

Comment

the pictures

Here are the pictures I promised of my "brand new" '53 2R5

Comment

Fixed your links...
              Sweet truck!
              Jeff

Originally posted by BuchananStude View Post
              Here are the pictures I promised of my "brand new" '53 2R5

Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 08-18-2010, 05:16 AM. Reason: Edited to delete duplicated picture...
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                Fixed your links...
                Sweet truck!
                Jeff
                Thanks Jeff. What did you do to get my links to work?

Comment

Looks close to stock to me. The main modifications, to me, is the front turn signals, back bumper, and it has a later "E" series heater. (At least it has a heater!) You mentioned a radio. If you are not too particular about all the modern radio stuff, original 6 volt radios are available. If you know what to look for, Motorola made tons of aftermarket 6 volt radios that will fit under that dash and perform well. Even if you find a Stock Studebaker Philco radio for the truck, it requires moving the ash tray over toward the glove compartment for installation. Looks to me like you have an excellent start for a fun vehicle.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by AKAchamptrucking View Post
                    Hey Adam! I love Milano's Pizza! Good find on the Stude. Private email me sometime.
                    Milano's is the our local favorite. Next time you are up, message me and you can take a look at my new toy.

Comment

Pic links on this (and most) forum(s) have to be .jpg format.
                      Right click on one of the pic's and you will see 'properties' way at the bottom of the list.
                      Then...Left click 'properties', and look at the 'address (URL)...
                      That's what you need to copy and paste into the pic address box when posting.
                      Hang in there! You'll get it...
                      Love the truck...
                      Jeff

Thanks Jeff. What did you do to get my links to work?
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Question about engines. While my 53 is running, it looks like the engine is pretty old and desperately in need of a rebuild. It's the 170 6-cylinder (I haven't checked the codes yet to see if it's an actual 1953 casting or not). However, I have a 1964 Ford 260 ci V-8 that is all cleaned up and ready for a rebuild sitting in my garage and in desperate need of a place to go. Has anyone had any experience swapping this engine into a 2R? If so, any information or lessons learned would be greatly appreciated.
                        I have a baby coming this January, so I need to get as much done before then.
                        Thanks,
                        Adam
                        Last edited by BuchananStude; 08-18-2010, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Very, very nice truck, Adam. I even like the Arrest-me-red colour. As to the Ford motor in your truck, please let me change your mind. Ford makes a good motor, however, it will save you a good bit of grief not to install it in your Studebaker. This is two-fold. First, you will not finish the install before the baby arrives. Just dropping in the motor is the beginning. Afterwards comes the brakes, the suspension and a host of modifications to the chassis and wiring to accomodate a hybrid modification. If you wish to do this later, go for it. Right now, with the little one on the way, wait. Just play with the old fellow the way he is. Once the little one is a year or so old, then is a good time.

Also, there are two other things I'd recommend. First, don't go Ford, if you wish to do a hybrid. Go Chevy. There are parts and pieces available for this type of change. See, Studebaker had Chevy motors in the last two years of production. Better yet, install a Studebaker V8. It will be more authentic, and also will set better with the Studebaker people you meet. Not only that, the swap will be considerably easier.

Regardless of whatever you do, just enjoy the old fellow. Don't be afraid to take him to the building supply or the nursery, as that's exactly what the truck was built for. Just be ready to field tons of compliments and attention. After all, it is Studebaker Driver's Club.
                          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                          Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Thanks for the advice, studeclunker. I appreciate all the advice I can get right now. Of the Studebaker V-8 models, what do you guys consider to be the best one to drop into a 2R?
                            Last edited by BuchananStude; 08-18-2010, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, stdueclunker. I appreciate all the advice I can get right now. Of the Studebaker V-8 models, what do you guys consider to be the best one to drop into a 2R?
                              A 259 or 289 are good choices because of the better breathing heads, but all Stude V8's are physically the same size. As far as "drop into a 2R", that's where you're going to do some searching for all the right parts. You'll need a V8 truck water housing to move the fan up, V8 truck motor mounts, V8 truck bell housing with mounts, V8 trans and V8 throttle linkage just to get started. Sounds like the easiest thing to do is find a complete V8 donor truck to get everything you'll need. I'm not trying to discourage you, just letting you in on what's needed to change it over to a Stude V8.

While I agree a Stude V8 would be my choice, I can't really see any advantage using a Chevy over a Ford in a C cab swap if you decide to go that way. The truck frame rails should have room for either. Both will need custom mounts as Studebaker didn't build a C cab with a Chevy in it. Both will need a brand specific trans with custom cross member, drive shaft etc. One disadvantage I see with a '64 260 is the 5-bolt early small block bell housing pattern will limit trans options. I'd also find a later rear sump pan to help clear the straight axle.

Bottom line is if it runs ok as is, maybe some detailing or work to the six would be the best idea. It's your truck, so gather some info and have fun with what ever you decide, it looks like a great starting point.
                              Last edited by Skinnys Garage; 08-18-2010, 11:12 AM. Reason: spelling
                              Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

Working...
                              X