Champ's hood follies 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ's hood follies 2010

Back when I put the supercharger on my 400,I needed a hood scoop to hide it.I copied Myer's Spooky Lark and used a 4 inch cowl induction scoop. It was a steel scoop that over lapped the hole cut in the hood and I welded it on on the top side,ground it down and had a great friend who finished it off in lead. It looked great for a long time,but a year or so ago I noticed a bubble starting under the lead.Then I had some rust forming under the scoop where the 3M drip check sealer had cracked.I did not weld the underside of the hood to the scoop,just sealed it. My bad.The acne really took off this past winter,so I pulled the hood off to force myself to do something with it.
    The past weeks Cars and Coffee show Chris D. posted about resulted in some front end damage to my Lark when a piece of metal got kicked up by the guy in front of me and hit my front below the grill. Here is where I have to say Hagerty Insurance came thru.Called that Saturday with a claim. They called me the following Monday,asked for pictures that I emailed,and told me to go get estimate,which was emailed the following day.Wednesday got a call saying the check was on the way,and I got it today.No problem! EXCELLENT SERVICE!!
    So this has really forced my hand since I am going to need paint work on the front,I might as well have the hood I intend to use painted @ the same time so it all matches. (Money I had NOT intended to spend till Winter!)
    So here is my last hood I had in stock,with a hole to clear my air filter/ carb setup. I have spent hours on the net searching hood scoops.What a PIA! I finally chose one,but I am going to leave you hanging a bit on which one it is! At least for a day or two! It is going to be a few weeks till it gets into the body shop,but that is OK.

some helpful ideas aaaaaaaaaahhhhhh

Now you know it might be time to have one of these pop up out of that hole. Seeing the hole is already there

Or go with a similar style that were all used to seeing. Here's a 3 in rise for you.

Or if you really want to scare the neighborhood.

Yellow one's from sumitt, if you want to play with photoshop.
    61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Rich

Just a wild a$$ thought, but if it were mine, I'd make a shaker hood setup out of it. Most any hood can be modified with a scoop, but how many Larks do you see with a shaker setup.

Bob

Comment

LOL @ Bob's idea. I would entertain that idea but there is not enough clearance. Kevin,I like the Enderle scoop,but with one 4BBL I kinda thought it would look bogus. I liked the cowl scoop,but it is time for a change. Art has a neat setup on his blown Lark,but that Spectre stuff is expensive,and I do not want to move my battery to the trunk and start fabricating cold air boxes and stuff. A new scoop is the cheapest solution to my CASO budget since I just spent about $10,000 on home renovations! That yellow scoop would get the job done,but without monster rear meats and a more radical idle quality I would look like a poser- Kmart racer IMO. My Lark is not wicked fast,but it has suprised a few automotive snobs hee heee.

Comment

Alway's loved the 67 stingray scoop (ram air) but it has become so iconic with the vette, and copied by other manufactures, Putting one on a Lark just doesn't seem right.
          I see tough choices ahead for you......nothing like choosing the "right" one or "wrong" one.

Were you refering to this one?

61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

YES! Thats it. But now that I see it on that,I do not think it would look good on mine.Again,mine is not radical enough to carry a scoop like that.Just MHO. But if you could,PLEASE email me that picture as large a format as you can! I need a new screen saver.So how is your ChopStu coming along???

Comment

Sent to your hotmail acct. If that doesn't work, I can send through forum.

Stu's doing well, bumpers, rear window, tail lights, ground effect (Dodge Magnum like on one side artist rendering on the other, then I'll decide), serpentine belt system, Then head lights, and trying to locate seats through salvage network.......need a certain convertible that has wrecked. So the console can be made.
              61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X