Leaking Valve cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking Valve cover

I just replaced the valve cover gasket for my OHV 170 and the valve cover is still leaking oil. I tightened the valve cover so it was snug. How tight should those valve cover nuts be? What else can I do to stop the leaking?

Troy, did you look at the cover to see that it's not bent or twisted anywhere? leaving an area where the gasket is'nt being pressured.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I inspected it when I had it off. There did not seem to have any flaws on the valve cover.

Comment

I forgot to ask,also check the gasket.I've seen some that vary in thickness within the same gasket!
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Thank you. I will check that.

Comment

I've seen some that were tightened in the past to the point where the sides bulge out and warp; sides should be as straight as the heads. I don't have the torque specs handy for the ohv six. Someone should.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Completely clean off any old gasket material from both the rim on the head and the lip of the valve cover with a gasket chisel (your choice). Thoroughly clean the two surfaces with acetone on a clean lint free paper towel. Spray the new valve cover gasket with Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket (don't be stingy), hang it on a wire and let air dry for at least 15 or 20 minutes. Apply the sticky gasket to the valve cover and carefully set it in place on the head rim. Tighten the cover nuts moderately. This method has never failed me, ever.
              Dean

CLEM

Comment

Here's what the shop manual says: " Using a new gasket, torque the rocher arm screws three times to 20 in-lbs., tightening the rear nut last". For that kind of part, excessive tightening always provides distortion, then leaks.

Best luck.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X