E-brake handle replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-brake handle replacement

Some time back I purchased an NOS E-brake handle to go on my 7E7 that has only one side remaining. The new handle has itself and a small metal pin that looks like it holds everything in place.

Here is the current look of the old handle on the truck:

And here is what was included with the new handle:

Does the pin simply press into the e-brake shaft (pair of channel locks or small c-clamp) or does it take a little more finesse than that? Does it need a little glue to insure a tight fit? Anyone else done this with success/failure?

I may be a little cautious, but I have broken enough things in my lifetime to know that one should check before doing something they are not sure about...

No one ever done this before?

Comment

Unfortunately I can't help you, but you can help me. What's the part umber for that T-handle? It looks like it would replace the broken hood latch handle on my Avanti.

Comment

Sorry, not a chance of that ever happening! The e-Brake handle is large and fits onto a shaft, the hood release handle is swagged onto a cable end. But you will find the handle kit under brake parts, Pg. 233 1554483 in the S.I. Catalog, paper or on-line.

You have a way better chance of making an Avanti Trunk release Handle work, those are in Avanti Body section.

Not an SDC Member? You will learn a lot getting our Turning Wheels Monthly Publication!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by MikeValent View Post
          Unfortunately I can't help you, but you can help me. What's the part umber for that T-handle? It looks like it would replace the broken hood latch handle on my Avanti.
          The hood latch handles are non-removeable (theoretically) as they are assembled onto the shaft and then a dimple is pressed into the handles to retain them. However, at least once I have salvaged one by drilling and tapping a hole through the dimpled area and using a set screw to retain the handle.

I'm not sure about the e-brake handles. I've never had to replace one, although I have had to replace the little springs that hold the pawl in place.

nate
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

62 Champ,

It's been awhile since I have replaced the e-brake handle on a Stude.
            I used a very small nail to align the hole in the handle to the
            shaft and used a bit of grease and a c-clamp to push the pin thru the handle into the
            shaft.
            Hope this helps.
            George King
            Grants Pass, Oregon
            64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

Nice to know someone else did this at some point - was beginning to think I had the only broken E-brake handle in Studebakerdom...

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                Nice to know someone else did this at some point - was beginning to think I had the only broken E-brake handle in Studebakerdom...
                Naw, it's just that you're Studebakerdum.

Just joking, I couldn't resist, Studebakerdom....

Comment

I replaced the e-brake handle on my 60 Lark that was broken just like yours. I used a dremel with a cutting wheel to cut the rest of the broken handle off the shaft. Then you can drive the pin from the shaft from the top of the shaft. Put the new handle on the shaft, line up the hole in the handle with the hole in the shaft and drive the pin back into the shaft. Hope this helps.
                  Jim Barker
                  '70' Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by JJB View Post
                    I replaced the e-brake handle on my 60 Lark that was broken just like yours. I used a dremel with a cutting wheel to cut the rest of the broken handle off the shaft. Then you can drive the pin from the shaft from the top of the shaft. Put the new handle on the shaft, line up the hole in the handle with the hole in the shaft and drive the pin back into the shaft. Hope this helps.
                    Jim - that is exactly what I was looking for - and I haven't had my dremel out for at least a week...

Comment

Random tidbit on another thread from someone with an NOS column-shift knob - another person with an actual instruction sheet (!) for installing these said to drop the knob into hot water for about 30 seconds before installing it to expand the plastic a bit. I'm just conjecturing, but the same technique might help here.

Good luck!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                      X