Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amber turn signal lenses for 64-65 Lark type sedans!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amber turn signal lenses for 64-65 Lark type sedans!

Something for other than North Americans--amber 1356260 and 1356261. Ebay auction 160468897392

I have a question for Australians/New Zealanders. Where do/did you get the amber backup light lens that fit on Wagonaires and 66 Studebakers, to convert them to turn signal lights?? 1353524 and 1353525 are for the white ones, but I don't see any part number for amber.

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
    Something for other than North Americans--amber 1356260 and 1356261. Ebay auction 160468897392
    Jim- Just to correct the historical record: amber parking light lenses were required by several US states in 1964. There's a Stude service bulletin that authorizes dealers to replace the 1964 clear lenses with amber ones at no charge. Those states were misinterpreting the Federal rule requiring amber parking lights after 1962 -- but did not specify that the lenses themselves had to be amber. The Feds later reissued that reg making it clear (no pun intended!) that amber bulbs with clear lenses were acceptable. The reason I know is because the DC inspection stations were identified as one of the places that were flunking 64 Studes with clear parking light lenses.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post

I have a question for Australians/New Zealanders. Where do/did you get the amber backup light lens that fit on Wagonaires and 66 Studebakers, to convert them to turn signal lights?? 1353524 and 1353525 are for the white ones, but I don't see any part number for amber.
      Back in the day amber translucent paint was used to change the clear lens to amber. I had one broken on the shipment of my '64 Wagonaire to Hawaii. The body shop that repaired some of the minor shipping damage got a clear lens and painted it to match the other undamaged clear. If you need to color a backup light lens to amber you might try looking at hobby shops for such a paint.
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I seem to remember amber backup light lenses being available @ Sasco a few years back for 64-66 models.

Comment

Thanks for the tips! I THOUGHT they were available through SASCO--just another of the many things I forgot to pick up on my last big buying spree there before they closed. (regretting especially the fenders...) In the early 60's I used to buy that clear amber paint at Canadian Tire to 'update' the family cars. Amber front light--amber plastic or clear with amber bulb--were mandated for all Canadian cars sold new as of model year 1963. The amber lens I saw on an Australian Wagonaire was amber plastic--I'll try SI, or just go with amber paint/amber bulb. Didn't the diesel Lark have amber turn signals by way of an amber sedan backup lens, or am I thinking of other Oz/Kiwi cars? I've seen them for GT Hawks...

Comment

I always liked the look of '64 Daytona back-up Lenses in Amber for Turn Signals, so while visiting the Studebaker Parts Depot (Plant 8) South Bend in 1966 to pick up new chrome for my '54 Starliner I was able to purchase a Pair of the Export Lenses. That was made possible because the "helpful" Parts Counterman after finding out that my Cousin and I had driven my '57 Parkview Wagon all the way from Los Angeles, he offered to write up the order for Mishawaka Studebaker at Wholesale (for a small price) saving me so much that I was able to add those Amber B/U lenses, a pair of '53-'58 H/T over the door "flippers" which were on Dealer closeout sale due to overstock, and Amber and Clear Parking Lt. lenses for both '64's and my Dad's '60 Champ Pickup and a few other items, all for the only money I had; $200.00!

Later, a few years ago, I got the Rear Harness for export cars that Dennis had a limited supply of at SASCO. He had put it up on ebay. It powers up the back-ups for turn and 4 way if equipped with the Stude. AC Flarestat Kit, and plugs right into the rear harness connector in the main Harness.

If you are thinking that my South Bend story is one of Lark Parker's "TALES" revisited, I swear it's the honest truth!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Jim, I think I have those amber lenses here. email me and I'll send you pics! jzeiger3@yahoo.com
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I have a pair of NOS 63 export lenses I am thinking about puting on my Lark.
                Jack White
                Charlotte,NC
                North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

Originally posted by Bamajak View Post
                  I have a pair of NOS 63 export lenses I am thinking about puting on my Lark.
                  What lenses are you referring to? All 1963s had amber front parking light lenses. Are you referring to amber backup lenses or something else?
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The backup lenses
                    Jack White
                    Charlotte,NC
                    North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

Working...
                    X