Studebakers (and others) at Bonneville Speedweek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebakers (and others) at Bonneville Speedweek

Take this link to the Southern California Timing Association's reports on Speedweek for 2010. I don't think the real action began until today, so visit the site often to keep up with what's going on. Scroll down for results. including pictures.

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Thanks, Joe, there is some wild looking stuff there. Notice the 50/51 ?? Buick with the blower sticking out the drivers side of the hood? Must be the straight 8 with a really weird manifold. Thanks again, great pics. John

Comment

Thanks for posting Joe,wild and fast cars, wish i were there, Only time i got to go it rained, looked like salt lake instead of salt flats.
      101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by j.byrd View Post
        Thanks, Joe, there is some wild looking stuff there. Notice the 50/51 ?? Buick with the blower sticking out the drivers side of the hood? Must be the straight 8 with a really weird manifold. Thanks again, great pics. John
        That Buick belongs to Gary Hart, who also has the red Studebaker with "For Sale" written above the door. The Bucik has raced at Maxton on a number of occasion. It is a wonderful piece of work.
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser

Comment

Here are a lot more pictures. Yes, there are some Studebakers here.

Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser

Comment

Speed Week report and Bonneville questions!

Howdy all!
            I got to drive my own little Stude out to Bonneville this year - it was a blast! (she's not racing yet though)
            I counted and documented a total of 14 Studebakers racing at this years Speed Week (there may have been a couple more Avantis that I missed)!!

I'm currently working on a story that'll be posted over at MyRideisMe.com and will let ya know when its posted...but before its done, I've got a few questions I thought someone may be able to answer?
            I'm looking for more info and/or pictures for the following: Bruce Geisler and his #219, Ed Langlo and his #1953, Neil Thompson, or Glen Overmyer - any info would be much appreciated!

An interesting bit of info I found in John Bridges book "Studebaker's Finest" reported that in "1974 '53/'54 bodied Stude coupes held 68% of the records in classes it was eligible to enter." !!! I'm checking into whether or not they still hold the greatest number of accumulated records for a production-car class. Amazing!

While you're waiting for the story, enjoy some of the pics I took while I was there (a good number of Studebakers)...
            Kristin Cline | '55 Champion Coupe | www.GreaseGirl.com
            sigpic

Comment

Hey All!

I just wanted to let you know I've put a few Studebaker-specific stories up on MyRideisMe.com about Speed Week 2010! (I'll also be putting them at GreaseGirl.com...I get so busy putting tech stuff and other shows, but I really need to focus in on my Stude buddies some!)
              Here's the links that I've done so far:
              Speed Seeking Studebakers: A brief history of the '53 Coupe on the salt
              Greg Meyer's Salt2Salt Team 1953 Coupe-Speed Seeking Studebaker #1
              Norris Anderson's 1949 Studebaker Pickup-Speed Seeking Studebaker #2
              ...and more to come!
              Again...anyone with more info on the historical stuff...I'd love it!

Happy Trails,
              Kristin (GreaseGirl)
              Kristin Cline | '55 Champion Coupe | www.GreaseGirl.com
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GreaseGirl View Post
                Hey All!

I just wanted to let you know I've put a few Studebaker-specific stories up on MyRideisMe.com about Speed Week 2010! (I'll also be putting them at GreaseGirl.com...I get so busy putting tech stuff and other shows, but I really need to focus in on my Stude buddies some!)
                Thanks so much Kristin (GreaseGirl) great reporting and great pictures. I really do appreciate it and can't wait to see more. Maybe you should consider authoring a column for TW each month.
                sigpic
                John
                63R-2386
                Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

I too want to thank Kristen for posting here pictures and reports. Interesting writing and beautiful pictures really bring the Bonneville experience to life for those that couldn't make it out to the salt this year.
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser

Comment

(Friday afternoon 8/17/2010)

Dan Salia (SilverHawkDan) and the 'Bucket List Dream' Avanti just made a 149.5 MPH licensing pass.....
                    (can't exceed 150mph on a licensing pass for that class)
                    Quite a neat story...
                    Read all about it over at Sonny's Racing Studebaker forum..

http://www.racingstudebakers.com/foo/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1855

Be safe! Go FAST! Go Dan!
                    Jeff
                    Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 09-17-2010, 01:24 PM.
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                      (Friday afternoon 8/17/2010)

Dan Salia (SilverHawkDan) and the 'Bucket List Dream' Avanti just made a 149.5 MPH licensing pass.....
                      (can't exceed 150mph on a licensing pass for that class)
                      Quite a neat story...
                      Read all about it over at Sonny's Racing Studebaker forum..

http://www.racingstudebakers.com/foo/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1855

Be safe! Go FAST! Go Dan!
                      Jeff
                      I'd like to add a little here Jeffster... Dan went 149.5 on a nearly stock, with a Novi 200 blower, '57 Golden Hawk motor. He called me right after the run and said he had more throttle. Very neat story!
                      Sonny
                      http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Working...
                      X