R-1 spark plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R-1 spark plugs

I tried search and couldn't come up with anything so...
    While I had the shielding off R5527 I decided to pull a plug. It is a UJ-12. I think I have used J-12Y in the past, but the shop manual calls for a J-9Y. In the thumbnail below you can see a lot of difference between the two. Anyone know the story on UJ 12. It is stamped "Made in England" while the J-12Y is stamped "Made in America".
    I don't even remember seeing a J-9Y. Is my memory that bad?
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

From an old Champion catalog that I have, a "U" prefix means that the plug has a "booster gap" whatever that means. I don't know that they are still in production.

I believe that a standard R-1 or R-2 should use J12Y plugs, which in today's world likely means J12YC or RJ12YC. Now whether those are the same exact heat range as the old J12Y I do not know.

J9Y was listed as "one step cold" but IIRC was discontinued by the time my Champion book was printed (late 60's) can't check now as it is already packed up.

nate
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Where did you come up with those low (Cold) numbers Paul? The 9,'s and 12's are Racing Plugs, at the Studebaker Dealer I worked at, we always used Corvette, and I thought the recommended J or UJ18Y Champion Plugs for R1 & R2 Engines.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hard to get a straight answer.

The Avanti shop manual says R1-R2 J9Y
        The Studebaker shop manual says V8s H18Y and 6cyls J7

The Champion book I have gives:

Std 6 and V8s - H14Y
        R1-R2 -J12Y and sustained high speed only J10Y
        R3-R4 - J10Y

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Here is the factory service letter on spark plugs for the Avanti and cars with the Jet-Thrust engines.

Bob Langer
          Glenshaw,PA

Comment

J12Y is or at least was the appropriate Champion spark plug for R1 engines. I remember it specifically because my 1964 Pontiac Bonneville used the same plug, as well as many GM engines of the same time period.

I believe the AC cross reference is either 44S or 45S.

Any brand plug of that cross references and is the proper heat range is fine for the engine outside of some specific need such as compression changes or oil burning.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

The Champion UJ12 plug is way too hot for an R1 engine. The plug had an internal booster gap that Champion designed in the mid 60's that was supposed to promote a hotter spark. That plug is better suited to a flat head engine from the 30's or 40's. The correct plug for an R series engine is RJ12Y, the new number is 14 , the Autolite number is 85 and the AC number is R44S. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                The Champion UJ12 plug is way too hot for an R1 engine. The plug had an internal booster gap that Champion designed in the mid 60's that was supposed to promote a hotter spark. That plug is better suited to a flat head engine from the 30's or 40's. The correct plug for an R series engine is RJ12Y, the new number is 14 , the Autolite number is 85 and the AC number is R44S. Bud
                Thanks for the good info. I wondered why the UJ had such a long body.
                I removed the four right-hand side UJs and installed my NOS J-12Ys. I ran out of time (in the driveway), but I'll get the left hand ones out before I drive the car again. With just four J-12Ys the car idled smoother.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

4 plugs in one setting not bad days work Paul, reminds me of this guy that had a 62 Gt and one day he said he was going to install some new Boush plugs because his car smoked so much, the next time I saw him a week later I asked him how they worked, he said he still had one more to install, one a day was his limit., this is a very interesting post as I have a ton of spark plugs and want to keep any that might fit the Studebakers, by a ton I mean enough to fill my truck bed.
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                    4 plugs in one setting not bad days work Paul, reminds me of this guy that had a 62 Gt and one day he said he was going to install some new Boush plugs because his car smoked so much, the next time I saw him a week later I asked him how they worked, he said he still had one more to install, one a day was his limit., this is a very interesting post as I have a ton of spark plugs and want to keep any that might fit the Studebakers, by a ton I mean enough to fill my truck bed.
                    Actually, for me that was a good day's work.
                    Really, I had spent the whole day struggling with the exhaust system and I was so beat up from that, I just didn't feel like tackling the left side. I sure could have used your lift.
                    Are all your spark plugs new? Be sure and save any of the H14Ys, H10s and J12Ys. I even keep the used ones to eventually clean and re-use if I can't find originals (I don't like the resistor and copper types).

Comment

Working...
                    X