Suggestions for cleaning up truck firewall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for cleaning up truck firewall

Stripping and cleaning up the firewall of my 51 pickup to prime and paint. Having problems getting the back of the glove box and up and around the glove box. I've been using a long handle paint scrapper and a cheap wood chisel, but not getting it as clean as I would like. Anyone have any suggestions?
    TDITS The Dude In The Stude

If it is undercoated like most, soften or dissolve it with Solvent or Gasoline, it seems to work great for ruining asphalt driveways, and they are also TAR!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Most have factory sprayed on undercoating and it is a bear to remove. An electric heat gun, a propane torch with a spreader tip all make a big mess, but eventually get the job done.

Then, you've got to decide what to spray back on there even thicker, because the C-cab needs all the insulation it can get.

jack vines.
      PackardV8

Comment

I got mine clean with a very sharp putty knife...and a lot of time. I didn't want to get "the stuff" runny with heat or solvent...just another mess to clean up.

Good Luck...
        JED
        sigpic

Comment

I got all the under coating off with a wood chisel. Now I am trying to clean up the rust and old paint the best I can. It just gets real tight between the glove box and the cowel and between the glove box and the door frame. Just kind of frustrating when you have the rest of the firewall down to nice shiny bare metal and you have this area you can't get at to clean up as well.
          TDITS The Dude In The Stude

Comment

A good stiff wire wheel on a drill motor or one of those new 2 inch DA sanders, or even a sand blaster might help......

Comment

Working...
            X