transmission shift linkage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transmission shift linkage

Having trouble adjusting the shift linkage on my 63 gt automatic. I followed the "manual control valve linkage" instruction in Group IV,page 40 of the '59-64 shop manual Fig 50 but can not get the corect adjustment. I can not get both Park and Reverse, it's one of the other and, if it makes any difference, the threads on the shift lever rod are almost expended. In other words a few more turns and the lock nut would be off the end of the rod, that's the way it was prior to the frame off restoration, which is almost finished, I'm waiting for the last parts of the interior. Any ideas would be appreciated. Ken Deltaville Va

Are the rear motor mounts any good? The bell housing should not be resting on the cross member. Mine was and the rubber was totally mush making adjustment impossible.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by jd-stude View Post
      Are the rear motor mounts any good? The bell housing should not be resting on the cross member. Mine was and the rubber was totally mush making adjustment impossible.

Ken
      just about everything on the car is new including the rear and front motor mounts, ken deltaville va

Comment

You get a 2fer

PLEASE--help this man(and me)--I've got both rev & park,but it's a real*&^% to find. Its kind of embarrasing at car shows--it looks like I got a stick

Comment

have you replaced the little rubber grommet on the transmission end of the shift linkage?

nate
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Column Automatic Shift Trouble

Are both of you using the correct 1/2 in. Cast Iron spacer between the frame and the LEFT Rear, Engine Mount ONLY?

In Viking's case, it sounds like the shift tube, grommets, upper and lower shift levers and shift housing (Bell), need checking. Some or all may be worn out. All are on the Column.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 08-14-2010, 05:52 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by N8N View Post
              have you replaced the little rubber grommet on the transmission end of the shift linkage?

nate
              nate, thanks, yes that grommet was replaced with a new one as it was quite worn, the steering end grommet is in good shape and was not replaced, ken, deltaville va

Comment

Working...
              X