Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Pop Quiz: September 2010 Hot Rod DeLuxe

OK, all you Eagle Eyes, here we go again:

Studebakers or Studebaker Power appear on three different pages of the September 2010 Hot Rod DeLuxe "old school" hot rod magazine.

Two NOS, uncirculated, unused Studebaker Corporation letterhead envelopes, circa 1963, will be sent to the first person to post all three page numbers on which Studebakers or Studebaker engines appear in that issue of Hot Rod DeLuxe.

No partial credit, must post all three page numbers. (Previous winners: Please give the other folks a couple days to post their answers, then feel free to post and win if no one has won yet. Thanks) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

12, 41, 53, 59......plus a Packard on page 55.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
      12, 41, 53, 59......plus a Packard on page 55.
      BINGO!

Good eyes, Paul...especially the 1955 Clipper hardtop; I had seen that, too. 'Hard to imagine anyone having enough money to go out and drag race a virtually new '55 Clipper...or maybe it was daddy's car and "Dad" didn't know where it was or what it was doing!

Is your address still Sedge Garden Road as in the 2010 SDC Roster?

Please confirm and I'll get two envelopes on their way to you. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Yep, still here in the same place! Thanks Bob.
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Good going Paul.

I have found that I like HRD more with each issue. I usually find something Studebaker in each issue. I loved the Champion engine on page 12 (How could you not want to hear that thing with that unique exhaust set up?).
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
            Good going Paul.

I have found that I like HRD more with each issue. I usually find something Studebaker in each issue. I loved the Champion engine on page 12 (How could you not want to hear that thing with that unique exhaust set up?).
            I've been paring down my subscriptions to general old car and rod magazines (down to just Hemmings Classic Car, Collectible Automobile, and Rodders Journal). But since I've been getting every issue of HRD, I believe I need to add that to the subscription list!
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

HRD is not available via subscription, so you have to keep your eyes open every other month for the latest edition. When Hot Rod brought David Frieburger back both HRM and HRD have really seem a lot of improvement. Besides David is great guy who really believes in supporting the local guys and their events. I met him the first time several years ago when he visited Maxton. Soon after that Hot Rod became a sponsor of the ECTA's April meets with the Hot Rod Street Challenge events. I have told him each time I have seen him since how much I like what he is doing with these two magazines. Actually David is the reason I began getting HRM a few years ago after having dropped my subscription for quite some time. He really digs the old and unique stuff. Yes, I am a fan!
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

The girls in HRD are nice, too!

Comment

Ok Bob, where in the world do you see a 55 Clipper on page 55? I just got new glasses, but maybe I should have kept the old ones!
                  I agree, HRD is a nice read, good to see some cars other than the ones built by others, for owners with fat check books!
                  JS
                  I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Originally posted by LarkTruck View Post
                    Ok Bob, where in the world do you see a 55 Clipper on page 55? I just got new glasses, but maybe I should have kept the old ones!
                    JS: I don't have the magazine in front of me, so I cannot verify if Page 55 is correct as Paul states.

However, the photo to which Paul and I refer is a full, two-page, black and white period photo (circa 1956?) of racers lining up at a drag strip. The Packard is a two-tone 1955 Clipper hardtop on the extreme right side of the right page, along the page's right-hand border. It is where you might even cover the Clipper with your right thumb as you read the magazine.

(If it turns out to be a page other than 55, please post as I did not actually buy the magazine and do not have a copy to reference.) BP

Comment

Hey Bob, not here to argue, if anyone should know a Packard, well? The photo you describe is actually the background photo for the index pages 4 & 5, with a smaller version on page 55. Again, I beg to differ, but that tail light and roofline sure scream 55 Olds. to me???? (help me out here guys). I think the Packard that Paul noted is the ambulance in the bottom photo on page 55.
                      Still, a cool trip back in time for many, though I don't remember much from then, as I was only 3mo. old and on the opposite coast. :-)
                      Jim S.

Comment

Hey Bob, not here to argue, if anyone should know a Packard, well? The photo you describe is actually the background photo for the index pages 4 & 5, with a smaller version on page 55. Again, I beg to differ, but that tail light and roofline sure scream 55 Olds. to me???? (help me out here guys). I think the Packard that Paul noted is the ambulance in the bottom photo on page 55.
                        Still, a cool trip back in time for many, though I don't remember much from then, as I was only 3mo. old and on the opposite coast. :-)
                        Jim S.
                        OK, Jim; now I'm going to have to go back to Barnes & Noble and take a second look! BP

Comment

Jim S.
                          Yep, the Packard I was referring to was the ambulance as Jim surmises.
                          Paul
                          Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Jim S.
                            Jim: I finally got another look at the magazine today.

Yes, the Packard on Page 55 is a 1948-1950 era Ambulance. 'Probably on a Custom Eight chassis, too.

Page 59 is the page in question regarding the Olds versus Packard location.

Regarding that photo: In the upper (the large) photo on Page 59, a 1955 Packard Clipper hardtop is on the extreme right side of the page, the farthest car to the right in the photo. (In fact, the LF corner of the Clipper was trimmed off in the copy of the magazine I looked at.)

Right behind that 1955 Clipper is indeed a 1954 Oldsmobile 2-door hardtop. The distance is simply too great to establish the model of either the Clipper (Constellation or Panama) or the Olds (88 or Super 88).

I suppose that in the press run of the magazine, some copies could have been trimmed in production to such an extent that the Clipper would not appear on the page, and the Olds would be the car farthest to the right in that photo. Doubtful, though; I think we were just talking about two different photos on two different pages.

Again, I was referencing the Page 59 photo, not Page 55. BP

Comment

As I said, you da man Bob, you da man!
                              JS

Comment

Working...
                              X