Where will it end.........it's anybodys guess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where will it end.........it's anybodys guess

Well as I write this an Avanti hood emblem which claims to be NOS is poised to go well over two hundred dollars........how I remember walking into Ideal Auto Sales & Service in Rockville Centre, NY in 1967 and ordering a new one for my car, as the original was already showing signs of pitting.

The princely cost?............$6.75........those were the days.........(Oh on E-Bay..........)

Yes ,and gas cost .23 cents per gallon. Not only that, someone would run out to your car to pump it for you and ask if he could check your oil for you. Ah yes... The good old days!!! The only problem with that was... I only made $50. bucks per week. NT
    Neil Thornton

Comment

Gee...and you can buy new one (maybe repros...I don't know) from SI for $85 for the chrome part and the plastic insert for $44.95. I guess some either don't know about alternative sources than Ebay or get caught up in auction fever. No question Ebay is a great source for some parts, but not the only source.

Before I even think about buying a part off Ebay I always check the vendors that specialize in those parts and find out their price...then I can decide whether to keep an eye on the Ebay auction to see if the cost is less.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Gun, What I do not understand is the following:
        The original emblem came with the letter riveted to the metal piece,in essence to hold it together....what good are the new ones if the emblem is not attached to the metal piece?
        Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
        Gee...and you can buy new one (maybe repros...I don't know) from SI for $85 for the chrome part and the plastic insert for $44.95. I guess some either don't know about alternative sources than Ebay or get caught up in auction fever. No question Ebay is a great source for some parts, but not the only source.

Before I even think about buying a part off Ebay I always check the vendors that specialize in those parts and find out their price...then I can decide whether to keep an eye on the Ebay auction to see if the cost is less.

Comment

I think this is it:

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Everybody knows that NOS is better than reproduction...

Comment

And check the usual suspects (i.e. our well-known Stude parts vendors) their prices vary widely...and wildly.
              Very easy to overpay for parts unless you call around.
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                Everybody knows that NOS is better than reproduction...
                the key wording is NOS or original. when people see that, they automatically think it's worth more and are willing to pay more before shopping around. I bet a lot of people think the stuff from the vendors is repro. I have done it by mistake as well without thinking it through, then clickety-click and it's mine. that's the market for ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Laemmle View Post
                  Gun, What I do not understand is the following:
                  The original emblem came with the letter riveted to the metal piece,in essence to hold it together....what good are the new ones if the emblem is not attached to the metal piece?
                  I'm guessing the ones from SI don't have the emblem already attached so the buyer can get a gold or silver emblem, whichever is appropriate for his car or his tastes.
                  Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I'm guessing the ones from SI don't have the emblem already attached so the buyer can get a gold or silver emblem, whichever is appropriate for his car or his tastes.
                    Finished up at 215.00.

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
                      Yes ,and gas cost .23 cents per gallon. Not only that, someone would run out to your car to pump it for you and ask if he could check your oil for you. Ah yes... The good old days!!! The only problem with that was... I only made $50. bucks per week. NT
                      This is a little bit before that time frame, but I have some original news paper ads for the 1940 Champion. Right off the line, brand new, you could buy my model of car for $660 sticker price! There are parts on mine alone worth more than that! Add a thousand to that and you get what I paid for it. Not a bad price at all for mine, but I still can't believe how cheap a new car was back in 1940! If I could go back in time, I would buy two!!!
                      Chris Dresbach

Comment

Chris,

It takes $15.57 in 2010 to buy what a $1 would buy in 1940 due to inflation and devaluation of dollar. So that $660 price would now be $10,277.66.
                        sigpic
                        John
                        63R-2386
                        Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

I'd gladly give $10,277.66 for a new 1940 Studebaker 2 dr.,anyone have one? []
                          So I guess the $40+K for a new car vs. $10,277.66 is accessories, dealer markup and gov'ment regulations..
                          101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Based on money halving every ten years in Australia....( Remember inflation was at 18% in the mid to late eighties,but lets average it at ten %),one 1940 dollar would be $128 today.That makes the Champion cost $84480 today.The early Holdens in the 50's cost over a year's pay for the average Australian,so I think $84 thousand or so is in the ballpark.The XY GT Falcon cost $4800 in 1971 and an equivalent car here today costs around $70000,so money has certainly moved on.Let's hope we don't follow in Zimbabwe's footsteps....
                            A.C.Moisley

Comment

Working...
                            X