Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti fire!

This is not my car, but to quote from the Anaconda Leader, July 30, 2010:

"A car [owned by ___ ] caught fire inside a trailer Friday evening on the corner of Commercial and Ash streets. Dispatch received a call from [his] wife, at about 8:30 p.m. Firefighters removed the car from the trailer and doused the fire. Leader photo by [ _____ ]."
    I was just passing by the next morning and viewed this non-Studebaker Avanti. I had seen it before in the building in the background and know the owner of the building, which houses several nice collector cars. He has several Packards in his yard. The car was in a trailer and was either on its way to a meet or to be delivered to a buyer. The owner plans to repair the car himself. He is quite handy with these cars and does most of his own work. This car was in almost-new condition, seldom driven by the owner and kept covered in a heated garage.

The fire started in the defroster and burned through the right side of the dashboard pad. The owner tried to extinguish the fire in the trailer, into which he had just driven the car. He was unsuccessful and his wife called the fire department, who removed the car from the trailer and controlled the fire. There was extensive smoke damage to the interior of the car and the right side of the dashboard and the cowl. The windshield was fragmented by the heat and the interior of the car was soaked with water. A small photo from the Anaconda Leader is attached.

Jack in Montana
    sigpic
    Jack, in Montana

That's always sad to see. The important thing is no one was hurt...the car can be repaired hopefully depending on how bad the damage is and cost/benefit of repairing it vs. declaring it totaled and disposed of or parted out. Let's hope for the best for the owners and for the car itself.

A fiberglass car that's burned is not a pretty sight.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Hm, a scarce Touring Coupe too. Good on the FD knocking the fire down quickly. Heard a similar story locally about a Firebird or Camaro of recent vintage that caught fire in a similar manner...in this case the entire interior was reduced to ash and/or melted plastic, but the fire never reached the exterior of the car, as it ran out of oxygen and guttered out. (Let's hear it for tight doors and windows.) The owner wondered why his windows appeared suddenly to have a dark tint applied...then he opened the door and found out why. Ouch.

I like these LWB Avanti 2dr cars; even among Avantis they stand out as different. I sorta want one. Finally saw one firsthand at Chillicothe last month.

S.

Comment

That appears to be a 1987 LSC and quite possibly a 25th Silver Anniversary Limited Edition LSC Avanti (based on the color combination). I know that is redundant nomenclature, but that is what Avanti called them.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          That appears to be a 1987 LSC and quite possibly a 25th Silver Anniversary Limited Edition LSC Avanti (based on the color combination). I know that is redundant nomenclature, but that is what Avanti called them.
          If that is the case, hopefully the fire was contained to the right hand side of the dash. Those Anniversary Editions had digital dashboard guages which I'm sure exact replacements will be a difficult find.

Craig

Comment

Good luck finding replacement parts for any post '85 AVANTI !!!!!!!!!!
            JS
            I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Sorry for the owner's loss. Sad to see anyone's toy get wrecked.

Nice color scheme and what look like 84 'Vette wheels.
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
              X