Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Have Factory Color Chips For The 1935 Studebaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Have Factory Color Chips For The 1935 Studebaker?

Autocolorlibrary.com only lists the color names and I'm not even sure if this is a complete list as it leaves out two-tone combinations. If you have a color chart, I would appreciate if you could post a scanned copy. Thanks, Chris

Last edited by loewycoupe; 08-10-2010, 02:17 PM.

I'll look when I get home, I have all or most from somewhere in the 30's.

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

Thanks. RM Auctions claimed the red and silver finish on this Roadster was "lovingly restored to its original showroom condition", however I do not see any reds or silvers listed on the above color schedule.

Comment

Chris,
        My chips only go back to 1936! and up to 1965

Jim
        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
        their Memorials!

Comment

Studebaker was always willing to do custom paint. If those weren't originally available I would add them to the list. Beautiful!
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Chris , this car used to belong to a fella named Howard Barclay from St Catharines area here in Ontario . Howard painted the car in colors he liked , he did not do it in Studebaker original colors.
            That is a very nice car and Howard used to take it to alot of local car shows here and it was always a hit with the people attending .
            Last edited by 2R5; 08-10-2010, 06:04 PM.
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
              Studebaker was always willing to do custom paint. If those weren't originally available I would add them to the list. Beautiful!
              Do you have any documentation backing up this claim?

Comment

The car was very well know around here. If you'd like to contact Howard I can get you contact info for you .
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                  Chris , this car used to belong to a fella named Howard Barclay from St Catharines area here in Ontario . Howard painted the car in colors he liked , he did not do it in Studebaker original colors.
                  That is a very nice car and Howard used to take it to alot of local car shows here and it was always a hit with the people attending .
                  I'm sure most folks enjoyed seeing the Stude and they probably had no idea the paint was not factory-correct or that Studebaker never offered a red or metallic silver in 1935. Be that as it may, from the evidence, it appears that Howard's car was originally one of the following colors or perhaps two if someone can present documentation showing that Studebaker offered two-tone schemes in '35.

Last edited by loewycoupe; 08-10-2010, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                    The car was very well know around here. If you'd like to contact Howard I can get you contact info for you .
                    Sure, thanks. I'd love to ask him what color it was originally.

Comment

Email me off line and I'll give you his contact info . Another thing you may not know is that the car came from South America, think it was Chile but can't say for sure.
                      sigpic

Comment

Message sent. That is the fifth one I've seen that originated outside North America. It seems very few mid-thirties Studes escaped the scrap heap here.

Comment

Originally posted by loewycoupe View Post
                          Do you have any documentation backing up this claim?
                          Actually, yes. I know of a photo somewhere (I think Richard Quinn has the original) that shows a brand new '50 (can't remember if it was a champion or commander) at the factory with a yellow body and black fenders. It was not a taxi, but special ordered by a private customer that way. That photo has been posted here before, but I can't find it.
                          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Changing Colors

Although I have never personally seen two-tone on a '35, the '35 Commander I had was Mountain Mist, I do know that two tone was offered back to at least '29. I helped my friend restore a Canary Yellow and Black, Commander, FD Brougham. He had his brother paint it in the original colors during restoration. After painting it, he just couldn't live with the colors, he said he would have been constantly hailed down for rides! We completely dissasembled the car, sanded it down and reshot it in a scheme I saw on an early 30's Cadillac. I have to say....regardless of originality, I believe it was well worth the effort!
                            I own time machines.....

Comment

While special factory orders were obviously the exception rather than the rule, there are many examples, verified by production orders, of special paint, options and equipment authorized on factory built vehicles.

I'll start a new thread requesting known examples of said vehicles. Let's see what we find.
                              Brad Johnson,
                              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X