"Lost" photos of the '47 Woody

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Lost" photos of the '47 Woody

I recently found these and thought they might be of interest to some. They are of when it was being transported out of South Bend from the proving ground.

This one is when it was still in the woods. That's the sand car in front of it.

This is not the greatest photo, but it's the woody on a trailer with a bunch of wooden braces to keep it from falling apart further.

And here is a not so lost drawing of it that was on the cover of TW.
    Last edited by Chris_Dresbach; 08-09-2010, 08:28 AM.
    Chris Dresbach

That pic was taken when they removed the car from the Proving Ground.
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Does the SNM have the Woody now? I seem to recall that someone was restoring it for the museum, but progress was slow. What's the latest?
      John
      1950 Champion
      W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
      Holdrege NE

Comment

Does anyone know what the current status is of the woody?
        I saw it in the old SNM and it seemed to be coming along pretty well. But that was in 1997.
        Rog
        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
        Smithtown,NY
        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Now thats some cool stuff.

Thanks,

Dean.

Comment

Originally posted by raprice View Post
            Does anyone know what the current status is of the woody?
            I saw it in the old SNM and it seemed to be coming along pretty well. But that was in 1997.
            Rog
            Last report was little or no progress. Seems that they keep running out of money. I wonder sometimes what they're making the thing out of.

Ah, there it is. I knew that there was a thread on this with pictures:

Sadly, our contact in this case, one Phil Brown, is now resting quietly six feet under. So, now we have to anno... ahem, email someone else.

I still say that setting it up in the museum with a collection box would be the best venue for raising money. After all, it doesn't seem to be going anywhere and might as well sit there as in the fabricator's garage. Shove the thing in fromt of people's noses. Hiding it away makes it too easy to forget about.
            Last edited by studeclunker; 08-09-2010, 04:56 PM.
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

The woody is at Glazier Pattern and Coach Works, LTD. Huston Ohio, haveing the wood done. It was back in South Bend last spring to have new rear springs installed. I heard it is to be done this fall.. Jim

Comment

this, by the way, is at least the second thread Chris has started on this subject. Here's the other most recent:

It's to be completed this year? COOL BEANS!!

You know, it just dawned on me: Champion = small six (16x or 170 six) cylinder engine. Not the big six. How stupid! This would have been a really heavy car. To put such a small motor would have been just... stupid. Oi vay!
                Last edited by studeclunker; 08-09-2010, 05:13 PM.
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Maybe it's just me but I feel that is a poorly worded reference to the late Phil Brown, Studeclunker, in your previous post.

Comment

Working...
                  X