Fiberglass fenders for hawks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiberglass fenders for hawks

I have heard of a guy that is making fiberglass fenders for our hawks, does anyone have a number? I have got to get away from all this rust, I picked up a fender tpday that was complete however after removing all the bondo it was rust eaten, I have got to find some rust less sheet metal soon

Studebakers forever!
    Studebakers forever!

I have a good edit* pass side Hawk fender out here in California, but to
    ship it to Maryland would be expensive. The fiberglass fenders need
    to use the steel inner fender and supports if I understand correctly.
    Obviously, you will also want to use both a right and left front
    fender, and not mix steel from side to side or your car may lean.

I have seen the fiberglass ads, but I dont recall at the moment where
    I saw them.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

64 Commander-64 Daytona
      64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
      63 Avanti R1
      63 Daytona convert-63
      63 Lark 2 door
      62 Lark 2 door
      60 Lark HT-60Hawk
      59 3E truck
      52 & 53 Starliner
      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I got a fender in the mail today and it was as bad as the one I have, I think I want a fiberglass fender however it dosen't have the vent set up. I wonder if anyone local has some fenders (in maryland) that are somewhat better then mine. I talked to the guy and he told me that I could cut the opening in. I don't want to alter his fender. He also said that the vent is the reason we have so much trouble with water in these hawks as the vent door leaks into the car, Could he have a point?

Studebakers forever!
        Studebakers forever!

Comment

Larks rust and they do not have the vent hole. It was just a poor design, something we will have to live with if we are going to have Studebaker's. Heck old cars in general tend to rust it's something you are going to have to deal with on some level.

Randy_G
          1959 Lark Sedan
          This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

Yah .. I dont think that the vent makes any difference. Probably the
            main problem is the lack of an inner fender to keep leaves and debris
            from getting between the bottom of the fender and the firewall. This
            will collect over time and block the rather small drainage holes. I
            remember removing the rear fenders from my 60 Hawk and finding over 5
            inches of the bottom FILLED with dirt!! This was in front of the rear
            wheel, behind the door. I was shocked it hadnt rusted through. I bet
            the only reason is the normally dry weather in California.

Whats a good condition, very minor rust front Hawk fender go for these
            days anyway? I have no use for it, but dont want to ship.

Tom
            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I have bought four, I spent 200.00 once then 350.00 I am so ticked at what I spent this time, I don't want to say. I would try to factor in the shipping with the cost.

Studebakers forever!
              Studebakers forever!

Comment

Yah .. I was figuring this one I have would be worth in the 250 to 400
                range, but I just havent bothered to see what they go for. Wife asks
                about it every once in a while (when are you getting rid of that?). I
                tell her its better then buying stock.

I also have a set of 63 Hawk fenders, but they are rusty, I dont know
                how they compare to the fenders you bought. Here are a few pics of the
                "bad" ones, they are temporarily installed on my old '60 Hawk. How do
                they compare?

Outside :

Inside

Tom

Comment

To tell you the truth, if I had some fenders like that I would be on easy street. Your fenders look great. The area that meets the door is my biggest problem. I have the patch panel for them along with the vent area patches. My bodyman says that they are not a problem however I want those vents to work. Studebakers get hot in the summer. I guess because they are a diffrent year you can't use those fender? Some of the guy's here are purest. They would chastize you for straying.[:I]

Studebakers forever!
                  Studebakers forever!

Comment

Interesting ... its funny .. I look at them and think "rusty", but its
                    not the kind of rusty you guys see back east I guess. They need to be
                    sandblasted, its possible that the pictures make them look better than
                    they actually are. I think the shipping would be outrageous sending
                    them to Maryland. Are your inner fenders in decent shape? I need to
                    cut the inner fender off the drivers side fender that got wrecked in
                    the accident. I need to fix my original post .. I have a good pass
                    side front fender ... not drivers.[:I]

Tom

Comment

I saw your correction, I want to send you a pic of the fender I got in the mail the other day however becauce of the rain here I have not been down to the garage. I must have laid on the ground because when I cleaned it up there was mud on the bottom below the vent doors. The rust you have down there is different then what we get up here, we have a place called chem-strip here and if you take them your part they can strip all rust(my gas tank) however if your part has a lot of rust that you can't see you could get back a fen with no der[8D]to live in Cali, that's the life!

Studebakers forever!
                      Studebakers forever!

Comment

Working...
                      X