Saved from the scrap yard 1956 Power Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saved from the scrap yard 1956 Power Hawk

Hello all. I am new to the forum. I recently bought a 1956 Power Hawk Hawk from a scrap yard. I think it has a lot of potential. Paid $600. I had the scrap yard pull the motor because it was seized and my goal is to toss in a big block Chevy. What I would really like to do is convert the front end to a 1953 to 1955 as well as a 53-55 trunk lid and tail light assemblies. Any leads on these parts would be greatly appreciated. This is my first Stude and my first total restoration project. Going for a custom street rod. The car was delivered Friday and I have already gutted the interior, pulled the front bumper, trunk lid, head light and tail light assemblies out of it. It's gonna need new floor pans and rocker panels.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Lazerrus; 08-11-2010, 07:03 AM.

Welcome! Great car for a project. Look for some ridicule from the keep it stock guys for your plans. Where are you located? Steve
    sigpic

Comment

taillights and lenses for '55 have been repro'd, 53-54 are different FWIW. Housings are same '55 and '56 only lenses are different.

nate
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Duane,

Sounds like a good plan. The '53/'54 styling is great; however, I am also parial to the look of the finless Hawks too.

If that trunk lid is in decent shape, you should find a number of willing buyers for it. That is a '64 Hawk trunk lid, which was a one-year only item.
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Great to have you on board! Good screen name too. As far as your custom ideas, I hope you are successful and don't get too discouraged in the process. I have always been intrigued and amused at what motivates the customizer's "artistic eye." I have seen folks put hawk fronts on the earlier year cars and the opposite. I guess it is kinda like the fishermen that put their boats in the water and drive 10 miles up the lake to fish where others just left to drive 10 miles "down" the lake to do the same.

Regardless, if you haven't done so, join the SDC. The "Turning Wheels" publication is worth the dues, and the contacts and resources it reveals is critical in keeping you from "re-inventing the wheel" (so to speak).

Also, buy the three manuals for your car. Shop manual, chassis manual, and body manual. Even when doing a custom, these will be very helpful in understanding, evaluating, and resourcing what will and will not work on your car
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Welcome to the forum! I like your plans for the car, sounds like a fun project!
            Dylan Wills
            Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
            1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
            1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
            1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Thank you guys. I am located in Santa Rosa, CA. The trunk lid has a little rust rot at the top just below the rear window other wise sees pretty straight. If any one is interested please contact me. Thanks for the info on that. The tail light housings are both broke at the mounting screws. As for keeping it stock I am sure some people will disagree with me but custom is really what I am after. My father has been restoring and showing Studes all his life and this project is a tribute to him. However he lives in Washington and can really only help me via the phone. I may stay with the Hawk front end if I can not locate a 53 to 55 front clip. I have scoured the net and can't find anything except fiberglass.

Comment

Duane, i see the lic. plate is California do you live in California? if so I do have some parts and a lot of info on what you want to do,..Bob
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                  Great to have you on board! Good screen name too. As far as your custom ideas, I hope you are successful and don't get too discouraged in the process. I have always been intrigued and amused at what motivates the customizer's "artistic eye." I have seen folks put hawk fronts on the earlier year cars and the opposite. I guess it is kinda like the fishermen that put their boats in the water and drive 10 miles up the lake to fish where others just left to drive 10 miles "down" the lake to do the same.

Regardless, if you haven't done so, join the SDC. The "Turning Wheels" publication is worth the dues, and the contacts and resources it reveals is critical in keeping you from "re-inventing the wheel" (so to speak).

Also, buy the three manuals for your car. Shop manual, chassis manual, and body manual. Even when doing a custom, these will be very helpful in understanding, evaluating, and resourcing what will and will not work on your car
                  Great advice John and thank you. I will be joing for sure. Small due for priceless info. My father is a member too.

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                    Duane, i see the lic. plate is California do you live in California? if so I do have some parts and a lot of info on what you want to do,..Bob
                    Hi Bob. Thanks. Yes I am in Santa Rosa, CA. Castro Valley isn't far at all. Feel free to call me anytime and look forward to hearing from you. 707-849-6970

Comment

Lazerrus

Also welcome from Michigan. A plus and a minus. The plus - your fenders will work with a 53 - 55 frontend so you would need a hood, grill surrounds and pan. The minus - is that they are some of the more difficult Studebaker parts to find in decent condition. You may want to ask if you might trade on the forum for some parts.

In either case they make great looking custom. Forge ahead fearlessly and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lazerrus View Post
                        I may stay with the Hawk front end if I can not locate a 53 to 55 front clip. I have scoured the net and can't find anything except fiberglass.
                        Finding metal front fenders and hoods for '53 c/k cars are typically hard to find and most are fiberglass. Usually the easiest (and sometimes cheapest) way to find sheet metal like that is searching junkyards. A '53 front clip would look good on that car. Good luck with your project!
                        Chris Dresbach

Comment

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new car, great save! I am in your camp on the custom cars of just about any type. The big block Chevy is a nice swap, but if you want a real driver that is practical to take anywhere, at least consider a late model fuel injection motor. That's what I did with mine and I just love it. Runs like a scalded dog, and on a recent 2000 mile trip it got 26 mpg. Check the link in my signature for details on my '53. I am not too far from you either just North of Sacramento. There are a couple of good SDC chapters close to you with some great folks to do the Studebaker thing with.

Pat
                          Pat Dilling
                          Olivehurst, CA
                          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Right on! Nice find of what will be a gorgeous car. Now start twistin' some wrenches!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Good find ! Looks like a fun project. The body look pretty straight from the pics. Keep us updated. I like seeing projects in progress.
                              You didn't happen to see what trans was attached to that floor shifter? Was the frozen engine a Stude V/8?

Gordon

Comment

Working...
                              X