Add a door lock to a pickup door?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add a door lock to a pickup door?

Anyone ever add a key lock to the drivers side door of a 2R truck? I haven't had the latch and stuff out of the door to look at it yet to see if left side has the slot for the key lock. But am thinking it shouldn't be to big of a deal. Hoping someone has done it before.
    TDITS The Dude In The Stude

Interesting question with an interesting answer! M5 trucks also had only one key lock - in the passenger side door. I bought an NOS set of locks (the latch mechanism that goes into the end of the door) when I rebuilt my M5 and was surprised that the left door latch doesn't even have the mechanism in it to allow another key lock. I checked the parts manuals for M trucks and C-cabs. For '41-'56, the lock part numbers are 265164 for the right door (with a locking mechanism) and 265167 for the left door (no locking mechanism). This is for left hand drive trucks, all models. For right-hand drive trucks, the part numbers are 265166 for the right door (no locking mechanism) and 265165 for the left door (with a locking mechanism). In 1957, Stude switched to key locks in both doors by using the parts they had since 1940.

So, you just need to find a left side latch mechanism (265165) from a 1957-64 C-cab truck (not Champ!). If you get a broken one, Studebaker International can rebuild it for $150. You also need to find the lock with key and the retainer clip that goes in the face of the door, but these are plentiful as used parts and even some NOS ones at swap meets. If you get 3 or 4 junk ones, you may be able to swap the tumblers around in the locks to match your existing key. The older Yale locks had about 6 different tumblers that were selected at random to make up the set of tumblers in a lock. You can slide the clip out of your existing lock, pull out the cylinder slowly, and then extract the tumblers with a pair of tweezers. There is a code stamped in each one, like 0-5. Be sure to do this with the lock inside of a shoe box, so the parts don't fly too far. The lock will actually work with only 3 or 4 of the tumblers in place. Who's going to steal a Studebaker truck, anyway? I sure wish I had known this BEFORE I painted the M5! [previously posted at Studebaker Truck Talk]

The lock with key is p/n 652798. Gary Schmidt seems to have one: http://schmidt-parts.yolasite.com/

The hole in the door needs a little slot nibbled out to keep the lock from rotating. Measure from your right side door to see where to make the hole.
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Boy! I can see it now...you spend all that time and effort putting that lock in your door...proudly drive to town...parallel park...step out on the traffic side...insert that key in the new shiny lock...WHAM!...flattened in the street by a passing Simi...

Next thing you hear is St. Peter saying..."Now you know why it only had a lock on the curb-side door!"
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I've got the lock on ebay. http://tinyurl.com/3782fe9 Now you just need the later latch assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by garyash View Post
          [SIZE=-1]Who's going to steal a Studebaker truck, anyway?
          That's a very good point. In fact, I contend that with the exception of the most popular, high-dollar collectibles, the average thief would not bother- too conspicuous. What about break-ins? Old cars are so easy to break into a crook could easily get into a properly locked car.

My classics never get locked. Stereos are hidden, and anything attractive is locked in the trunk. Also, the cars are never left in a risky place.

That's how I do it. Last thing on my list in a restoration would be adding a lock.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Gary thanks for the information, that helps a lot. I guess I need to look for a later latch assembly first.

John, I very rarly parallel park. I've got aways to go before I have my truck on the road, but when I do I plan on driving it. It will be nice to be able to lock it with out crawling in and out the drivers side.

Bob, tell that to the people that lost there vent wings at the Gendale meet.

Comment

Originally posted by TDITS View Post

John, I very rarly parallel park. I've got aways to go before I have my truck on the road, but when I do I plan on driving it. It will be nice to be able to lock it with out crawling in and out the drivers side
              Hey, I was just having a little fun. I have owned my truck with that blasted single outside lock on the passenger side for over 35 years. If I wasn't so lazy...it would have probably had one added to the driver door years ago.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Oh I know you were just joking. Funny thing is one of the few streets around here that I would parallel park on is a one way street with parking on both sides of the street. So many times you end up parallel parking with the drivers side against the curb.

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                Hey, I was just having a little fun. I have owned my truck with that blasted single outside lock on the passenger side for over 35 years. If I wasn't so lazy...it would have probably had one added to the driver door years ago.

Comment

Add a Door Lock

Here's some drilling instructions..........(ten words, ten words, ten words)

Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by TDITS View Post
                    Bob, tell that to the people that lost there vent wings at the Gendale meet.
                    Were the doors on that locked or not? I don't think it mattered, they were on the outside of the car. As the saying goes, locks only keep honest men honest- meaning a crook will get in regardless of whether it's locked or not. And as I said, it's super-easy to get into an older car that's locked anyway.

All I'm saying is, weigh out the work required against the realistic benefits.
                    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                    Romans 15:13
                    Deuteronomy 31:6
                    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                      Were the doors on that locked or not? I don't think it mattered, they were on the outside of the car. As the saying goes, locks only keep honest men honest- meaning a crook will get in regardless of whether it's locked or not. And as I said, it's super-easy to get into an older car that's locked anyway.

All I'm saying is, weigh out the work required against the realistic benefits.
                      I wasn’t asking for opinions on if this is something I should do; I can decide that for myself. This is the technical forum, I was asking about the how to. And I got to very good replies, for which I am very appreciative.
                      Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X