Quest for turn signal knob and Shrock Brothers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quest for turn signal knob and Shrock Brothers

Have been on a quest for over a decade to add Factory Accessory turn signals to my '48 Champion. Many difficult parts to find. The hardest to obtain was the correct turnsignal lever (or wand) with an intact plastic knob. Having seen a few levers without the plastic knob led me to believe the knob was cast on the lever, not threaded. Adding to this belief was the part #520305P Lever and Knob. (per parts book) No separate number for just the knob. Well, I finally found a decent complete switch with a good knob. 60+year old plastic!

Now a difficult decision. As hard as this was to find, I thought I should help make it available to others in the future that might need one. I was reluctant to turn it loose, but hey, for the betterment of the club, right? I contacted Shrock Brothers, realizing they would probably have to destroy it to make a mold for a new one. Their reply was that they do already make that knob! (Not on their website.) And they said it is not cast on the lever, it is a push-on (I think). They also say Studebaker did offer just the knob by ityself as a service part. Shrock Bros. said they know because they used to have some in stock. (Part # please?)

Shrockbrothers.com

Anyone know what else Shrock Brothers makes that is not on their website?
    (They said they would be adding items soon, but it's been quite a while.)

Anyone have the part number for just the plastic knob?

Thanks for listening. (And I'm not knocking Shrock Bros., they've got great stuff! Just sharing some knowledge.)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kurtruk; 08-08-2010, 03:17 PM.
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Studebaker International has the knob in stock for about $12

Comment

I purchased my knob from Studebaker West. You are supposed to put the plastic part in hot water. Not long. You put on end of lever and allow to cool down. I think I paid $12.00

Comment

I don't believe either of those is the correct knob. My knob is not flattened. Look at my pictures and the parts book. 47-49 is different than 50 and later. SI part number 801241 is for 50-52.
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Call Studebaker West. That's what mine looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
            Have been on a quest for over a decade to add Factory Accessory turn signals to my '48 Champion. Many difficult parts to find. The hardest to obtain was the correct turnsignal lever
            Me too! However, I couldn't find the chrome pieces that go on the front of the car with the signal lights. Finally, I found a complete set at a major swap meet. (about 15 years ago) and the seller wanted $600.
            Caso that I am, I passed on the bargain. I went home, took my headlight bucket and replaced the tiny instrument size bulb parking light socket with a dual element bulb socket and converted my parking lights to serve as both parking lights and turn signals.
            I then installed a vintage period (Western Auto) aftermarket turn signal switch and never obsessed over the factory signals again.
            I used the money saved to buy a new set of Coker tires for the car.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by royvaldez View Post
              I purchased my knob from Studebaker West. You are supposed to put the plastic part in hot water. Not long. You put on end of lever and allow to cool down. I think I paid $12.00
              Hey, just found this thread. I was going to ask if the turn signal knob on a 50 is a push on or threaded. Mine is cracking a bit, so I was going to replace it but wasn't sure how to get the old one off without mangling anything. Thanks...
              sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
              Regal Deluxe Trim
              Automatic transmission
              46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

I just took one off a 50 commander yesterday, it is pushed on, I had to twist with pair of pliers to get it off.
                Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                1961 Hawk 4-speed
                1967 Avanti
                1961 Lark 2 door
                1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Working...
                X