195 75 R15 Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 195 75 R15 Tires

195 75 R15 tires are now available in narrow white wall. Has anyone tried these on the stock 1964 rims? If they will work there may be no need to find wider rims for 205 75 R15 tires.

T-cab

Tires

Available from where?

I used 197/75R15 tires on stock 62 and 63 rims years ago and they worked fine, so they should work just as well on 64's.
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

Originally posted by T-CAB View Post
      195 75 R15 tires are now available in narrow white wall. Has anyone tried these on the stock 1964 rims? If they will work there may be no need to find wider rims for 205 75 R15 tires.

T-cab
      Same question as Mark57 as to where? I searched about 6 months ago and all I could find was either temporary tires or trailer tires. The tread pattern offered little wet traction on the trailer tires. Steve
      sigpic

Comment

What brand would that be? I would find out what their Diameter is, an off-Brand in that size may be way too small.

Here's a Tire Post, just 6 days ago on the General Topics Page:

Somewhere we have one showing pics of, and noting the original 6.40 or 6.70X15 Tire Diameter.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 08-07-2010, 11:27 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The brand is "American Classics" sold by "Coker Tire". They come in either 2 1/4 inch or 3/4 inch ww. They sell tem for $118 per tire for the 3/4 inch ww.

T-cab

Comment

Mark: 195-75-15 tires are available from collectorsautosupply.com,click on their E Bay icon. They are located in West Bank BC. Art

Comment

add tire picture

Originally posted by T-CAB View Post

T-cab
              I have a set of 195x75x15s on my Wagonaire and they are way too small. They would be comparable to the original 6.00x15 bias tire. I ordered the 195s thinking they were the same as the earlier metric 195s which were directly comparable to 6.70x15. This was several years ago, not the Coker version. Point is, be sure these new 195s are large enough in diameter.
              In my opinion even 205s are too small to replace 6.70s. I found that 215x75x15s are virtually the same diameter (height) as 6.70s. In the picture below I have four sizes , all mounted, side by side. From the right the first is a 195x75x15. Next is a 205x75x15. Second from the left is a 215x75x15 and the one on the left is a NOS Firestone 6.70x15 bias-ply tire.
              Last edited by 53k; 08-08-2010, 10:17 AM.
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Thanks Paul. That was a great comparison photo. I would not habe thougth there would be such a great difference in diameter. I guess I'll have to start looking for wider rims and go with P215 75R15.

t-cab

Comment

We seem to get regular questions on tire sizes that lead me to believe that many folks do not understand what all those confusing numbers and letters stand for.
                  Here's a link that explains things in a straight forward manner:

Have a look and see what you think.

Comment

I purchased a new set of WW 195 75R15s for my green 1955 Coupe. I had some NOS fenderskirts, and they were painted to match the body. I procrastinated putting them on. (required drilling holes in fender!)

The whitewalls shortly after turned black, less than 500 miles. The tire dealer took them all back, and replaced them with WW 205s. A surprise development was that the fenderskirts no longer fit. (This car, anyway)

Explanation good above good, but covers smaller tire sizes, not Stude sizes - or did I miss something?
                    Last edited by 55s; 08-10-2010, 04:28 PM.

Comment

I have a 60 lark 4 door, 259, automatic, dual exhaust, factory reclining front seats, that has rested quietly in my man cave for about 15 years now. It is sitting on P195 75 R15 tires that I put on it probably around 1985.

These were OEM take-offs from a Van Conversion shop. Back then, custom van conversion shops were everywhere. It was not unusual for them to take the factory tires off and sell them cheap. I doubt if I paid $25.00 per tire.

I used that Lark in my industrial sales job and put over 40,000 miles on it. I stopped using it professionally in 1988. When my state started collecting an extra fee to pay for what they called the "uninsured" or "re-insured" (don't ask me what it means), and our local school board got permission to collect additional school tax on our cars...I took this car and a couple of others off the road.

These particular tires worked and drove well and I would use them again if I could find another set. I don't know if the actual size of these number designations have changed since the mid '80's.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I run 205X75X15 Pirelli on my Avanti and they are greatttttttt as Tony the Tiger would say. :-)

Comment

Working...
                        X