Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avanti owners.......how sharp are your eyes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti owners.......how sharp are your eyes?

I have watched the Studebaker Avanti promo film that runs about 17 minutes.....Studes ad agency was D'arcy.

I laugh every time I watch..........sharp eyed Stude freaks will notice one scene that depicts something that truly is impossible. But the production company most likely cobbled together the car for the static car shots.

For a lobster dinner........name the 'mistake'

Where is a link to the film, is it on You-Tube ?
    sigpic
    John
    63R-2386
    Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Originally posted by Laemmle View Post
      I have watched the Studebaker Avanti promo film that runs about 17 minutes.....Studes ad agency was D'arcy.

I laugh every time I watch..........sharp eyed Stude freaks will notice one scene that depicts something that truly is impossible. But the production company most likely cobbled together the car for the static car shots.

For a lobster dinner........name the 'mistake'
      Have you got a link to the film or where does one find it? Thanks, Steve
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
        Have you got a link to the film or where does one find it? Thanks, Steve
        I think I watched the one he talking about, and there are lots of errors, the auto opening hood being the most obvious at first glance.
        JDP Maryland

Comment

Is this the film? If so, one thing I noticed that was obviously an error, is that the windows are rolled down towards the end when Andy Granatelli is making the 168 MPH run.

Thi is a Studebaker Avanti Promotional film from 1963. The Studebaker Avanti set all kinds of land speed records for a factory stock off the show room floor...

Comment

Is this the You Tube video referred to?

The 1963 Avanti was the last ditch effort of Sherwood Egbert (his real name) to rescue the faltering Studebaker. Once again, the company turned to its ace ...

If so, I think I have to agree with John, the most obvious is the automatically opening hood. What mistake did you notice?

Rich

Comment

They show the interior with A/C, and then a Supercharged engine!

Jim
              "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
              their Memorials!

Comment

I assumed they were showing different cars, one had the AC panel, the other did not, one was a R1, the other a R2.
                JDP Maryland

Comment

The car has the inside rear view mirror mounted on the dash, which only prototypes had, so the car in most of the presentation was one of the original prototypes. That can explain the odd items like the different Avanti script on the vertical console panel. The backup light lenses look dark like they're red lenses but I saw no backup lights so it must be just the old black and white film making it look that way.

The supercharger looks like it's painted black instead of orange. I thought all came from the factory orange, but a prototype can have any number of non-standard items as equipment was still being worked out for production.

Back in the early 1970's when I first started looking to buy an Avanti, the first one I looked at had the mirror mounted on the dash. That sticks in my mind since it was similar to a '61 Chrysler New Yorker my Dad owned back in the '60s. Since I was a college student and short on funds I couldn't afford the car though the asking price seemed reasonable. It was after college when I bought a '63 R1 and saw the mirror mounted on the windshield. It wasn't until later when reading literature on the Avanti history I discovered only prototypes had the mirrors mounted on the dash. I always after the fact regretted not buying that prototype car, but I didn't have the money anyway.
                  Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

No, this is the Record breaker film...the one i speak of is the ad agency film

Comment

Yes this is it!........now remember I said sharp eyed, well get out the fine tooth combs.......the auto hood is very obvious to Avanti freaks.......but this is not what I refer to.........keep looking!!

Comment

This B it!

Comment

this b it!
                          Originally posted by Rich View Post
                          Is this the You Tube video referred to?

The 1963 Avanti was the last ditch effort of Sherwood Egbert (his real name) to rescue the faltering Studebaker. Once again, the company turned to its ace ...

If so, I think I have to agree with John, the most obvious is the automatically opening hood. What mistake did you notice?

Rich

Comment

I saw that the interior door handles were the regular car type.....not Avanti ones. Also that the feature onthe disk brakes, there was no dust cap on the spindle. The interior mirror was too large.
                            Bez Auto Alchemy
                            573-318-8948
                            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Everyone is chiming in with good stuff...but ya gots to look close .and fast!!! i will give the answer when you guys say that's it what is it i want the lobster!
                              Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                              I saw that the interior door handles were the regular car type.....not Avanti ones. Also that the feature onthe disk brakes, there was no dust cap on the spindle. The interior mirror was too large.

Comment

Working...
                              X