sorry to ask about oil again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sorry to ask about oil again

I'm a little confused about the type of oil I should be using in my 52 Commander. I always used straight 30 in my 6 cyl Lark. Lately I've seen postings regarding oil intended for diesel engines. Thanks for the advice, again.
    Terry

1952 Commander Starlight

Here is one of MANY posts on this subject some on general page, others on Technical page. You can find them with the search mode "ZDDP" or "zinc": http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...?TOPIC_ID=9649

Scroll about 3/4 of the way down for this one.

Here's a better one:

The bottom line is, although there ARE a few other good alternatives, the Shell Rotella 15W-40 that HAS the API classification CI-4 or CI-4+ have one of the best cam & lifter protection & the new CJ-4 a little less, try to get old stock CI-4 if you can. Chevron Delo 400 is also good, check the API class.
    Keep in mind though, that this is very high detergent oil, if this '52 has not been recently overhauled & has lots of sludge(oil gets black quickly) this may not be the best way to go because the deposits will break loose in the oil.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for your help. This last winter, just about every seal in the engine was replaced, (not by me) but the engine was not overhauled. I would guess any sludge would have been cleaned out. I'll check with the garage.
      Terry

1952 Commander Starlight

Comment

Working...
      X