Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much up & down play should a door hinge have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much up & down play should a door hinge have?

So, how much, if any? I was out where my Hardtop is parked this evening and I jiggled the lower hinge and it moved a bit in a direction I was not expecting. Could it be a hinge pin problem?

Jeff T.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

I think the general rule, is if you can FEEL movement - its too much.

Tom
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Originally posted by sbca96 View Post
      I think the general rule, is if you can FEEL movement - its too much.

Tom
      Agreed. ...
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

My answer would be: barely perceptable.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I agree with them. My doors have no visual movement at the pins, let alone feeling it. Assuming that the hard top door hinges are the same as a 4 door, I can send one along with those firewall parts (If you get them, and I get my butt in gear and get a tool....) and you could see if it's any better.
          Dylan Wills
          Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
          1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
          1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
          1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm ordering a new hinge tonight from SI. I have to hang the door and move the Lark ASAP. It seems that a neighbor has taken offense and the city of Lincoln wants me to buy a hobbiest permit, which is a suprise because my Lark is licensed and insured. The city of Lincoln passed a "junk car ordinance" years ago requiring owners of unlicenced, uninsured and non-operable cars to purchase a permit to park their cars in their yard for $50.00 for six months per car.

Dylan, sometimes things take longer than you figure... I've got a family, a century old house, a job, etc, etc. etc. If I can find an hour here or there to work on my Lark, I'm lucky... also we're forcasted to have heat indexes of 100+ for the next week or so

Jeff T.
            \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
            The Replacements.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff T. View Post
              It seems that a neighbor has taken offense and the city of Lincoln wants me to buy a hobbiest permit, which is a suprise because my Lark is licensed and insured. The city of Lincoln passed a "junk car ordinance" years ago requiring owners of unlicenced, uninsured and non-operable cars to purchase a permit to park their cars in their yard for $50.00 for six months per car.
              Jeff T.
              If your lark is licensed and insured, why would it fall under the "junk car ordinance"? Is it operable? Cause you already pass the first two of the three conditions you mention.
              There should be no reason you can't park it outside your garage. However, I could see the city wanting it on a paved surface. I think that's we we have here in the Twin Cities, MN.

Comment

I got a tow notice years ago when my Avanti was parked in the street, it was
                fully licensed and insured. They gave me an abandoned vehicle notice. It was
                in front of the house it was registered to! To add insult to injury, the Lompoc
                Police Department sent me a reminder a week later to enter my car into their
                car show coming up the next month ..... hummmm.

I guess they could have towed it there for me?

Tom
                '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
                X