62 GT Hawk dash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 GT Hawk dash

I have a 62 hawk parts car that I pulled the frame out of, for my 53 coupe build, but I have some random questions about the dash.
    1. Shocked to see it was fiberglass - is that oem?
    2. Is it a simple swap for the 53 dash?
    3. Are new gauges available?
    4. clock and tach? (speedo seems to work fine)
    5. Anyone have pics of alternative mods? (IE, without the padding, different backdrop instead of the woodgrain, etc.)
    6. mods for in dash air? etc.

I'm liking it better than the 53 dash(champion) and all that 6 v stuff.

I'm just looking for ideas, tips, no-no's, and opinions.
    Thanks guys, and gals.

Originally posted by oldguy View Post
    I have a 62 hawk parts car that I pulled the frame out of, for my 53 coupe build, but I have some random questions about the dash.
    1. Shocked to see it was fiberglass - is that oem?
    2. Is it a simple swap for the 53 dash?
    3. Are new gauges available?
    4. clock and tach? (speedo seems to work fine)
    5. Anyone have pics of alternative mods? (IE, without the padding, different backdrop instead of the woodgrain, etc.)
    6. mods for in dash air? etc.

I'm liking it better than the 53 dash(champion) and all that 6 v stuff.

I'm just looking for ideas, tips, no-no's, and opinions.
    Thanks guys, and gals.
    1) yes
    2) mechanically, yes. It'll bolt right in. If you want to use it, I'd recommend using the front wiring harness from the '62 along with the dash. You'll need the matching temp sender and fuel gauge sender, and you'll need a 12V generator (or mod it to use an alternator)
    3) depends. some of the OEM may hard to find, but you might be able to find aftermarket ones to fill the holes nicely.
    4) not me but maybe someone else does. Woodgrain can be restored with vinyl if it is bad, it is actually not that difficult and looks very close to OEM.
    6) not aware of any in dash air for the GT dash, but if you like the looks of the 56-61 Hawk dash, I believe that there were some made for that app. All Stude factory air installations were hang under the dash recirculating units.

good luck

nate
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks n8n. You've touched on some of the issues I see coming. (2) No engine in the car, so I'd need to find and oem sender for the temp and oil? I always replace amp gauges with Volt gauges (have had some succes with aftermarket gauges and transferring the front plates) that may be the way to go here, unless someone knows of aftermarket gauges with the right color/style face to go with the clock/speedo/tach.
      3. Not enamored with fake wood (vinyl) for the dash. Wondered if maybe the aluminum with black dots used on the rest of the dash was available in sheets, where I could make my own faceplate to match the right side?

Comment

Stude oil press gauges were all mechanical, so if you use OEM gauges no worries there.

Some other stuff to keep in mind, if you convert to 12V you will need to do something about the wiper motor, defrost blower, and heater blower. Maybe you could use the ones from the '62 as well?

nate
        --
        55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Right on all counts n8n. Slipped my mind about the mechancial oil pressure gauge. Actually, I'm way ahead of myself here. Just finishing the suspension/brakes/steering upgrades (Power R&P) and needed to hang the dash and column to set the intermediate linkage and booster on the firewall. Which lead me to deciding which dash to use, which leads to all these other issues.
          I'm real curious to see some modified 62 dashes with AC so I don't paint myself into a corner with a poor decision now.

Comment

I would say that since you are going custom, it is your blank canvas to get creative and artistic as it pleases you. One thing to keep in mind with that fiberglass dash is that you will need to run specific and good quality grounds to all your electrical mountings since the fiberglass itself will not serve as a ground. If you are planning on adding air...definately go with an alternator. I have added and installed true period old aftermarket air conditioning systems. However, I understand that there are modern air units that are pretty flexible that can be bought from "Rod Suppliers" that would probably be better if you have the money.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Posted by oldguy
              Anyone have pics of alternative mods? (IE, without the padding, different backdrop instead of the woodgrain, etc.)
              If you want something a little more modern, here is a shot of a 62 dash in my 54K with digital gauges and no padding.

Bob

Comment

yeah, you can pretty much fab anything you want for the gauge panel and the radio surround, the tricky one will be the glovebox door.

You could use pieces of carbon fiber sheet, although that'll probably look dated in 10 years, or for a more old school look, engine turned aluminum... plain brushed aluminum for that race car look... use your imagination

or if you think a solid color would look nice just strip and repaint the stock pieces

nate
                --
                55 Commander Starlight

Comment

62 hawk dash

Thanks Bob. I was kind of focused on the original layout. Probably won't go that modern, but it does open my eyes to the possibilities. I see you have put the ac controls in the dash and built a console for the radio. Good solution. I have lots of time to work out the details, but I'm definetly going with the hawk dash. More options than the stocker.

Comment

I just put a Vintage Air unit in my '62. I'm pretty happy with it.

Comment

Bowhawk...Great looking install. Did you have to fabricate the lower part of the dash to make it look factory?
                      Peter Bishop

Comment

No that comes from Vintage. It fits perfectly. The only thing now is relocating the side vent control.

I added some under hood pictures. I'm not happy with the hoses sticking up so high. http://s966.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=IMG_1236.jpg
                        Last edited by bowhawk; 08-10-2010, 04:27 PM.

Comment

BowHawk what model or part number are you using for your ac evaporator?
                          Bill Foy
                          1000 Islands, Ontario
                          1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Bohawk, those compressors can be rotated almost 90*, may be able to reposition those connections to the side. They also have a "tight line" kit that helps some.

Comment

this was a golden hawk dash put into a 53 coupe. Just an idea of how these look- thanks, m weiss

Comment

Working...
                              X