Bought my first Studebaker Truck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought my first Studebaker Truck!

I have owned over 20 Studebaker cars but until last Friday I had never owned a Studebaker truck. I have been looking on and off for a 'rust-free' Champ P/U that would make a good project. Now I'm the proud owner of a 1963 Champ P/U (an 8E5) The pic isn't the best, but it's all I have right now. The Champ is a Deluxe model with a 3-speed O/D, hill holder, and TT. The body seems to be fairly straight and no rust through anywhere! I will need a drivers side window and I'll post more as I discover more about the truck.

Joe
    Attached Files
    sigpic

1962 Daytona
    1964 Cruiser
    And a few others

For one Champ owner to another ....congratulations ! You'll have tons of fun with it I'm sure .
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Must be from Oregon High Desert country.
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Here's a '62 Champ just announced for sale on Bill Jackameit's Studebaker page.

The Web's second oldest Studebaker page. Information on Studebaker cars, trucks, and toys

Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Hey, thanks for taking the temptation away! I was rather weakly resisting that one. If you need any OHV six parts, let me know. Did you find the distributor? They told me it was out and they couldn't find it.

Nice truck, all the best!
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, I got lucky on this one. I made a very low offer on the truck just to 'start the haggling' and the seller accepted my offer. Don't know about a missing distributor assuming it's the same truck, when I bought it the distributor was in it. Although I was told the truck didn't have any fire, it did have fire, just had all the spark plug cables hooked up wrong! 30 minutes after I got the truck in my garage I had it running.

Joe
            sigpic

1962 Daytona
            1964 Cruiser
            And a few others

Comment

The last studebaker truck I had was a M5 1947. Drove it for over 12 years as a daily driver. Hope you have as much fun as I did.

Comment

Congrats on the truck! There is one very similar to that one down the road from me. It needs a new cab, but still a cool truck. I always liked the Champ PUs, and the first time I ever got to ride in one was in the middle of December this past year while at SASCO. It was mid day and I was at the gas station accross the street, and got a ride back to the building with Dave Spilski. The 1/8 mile ride back was "something else" because I had never rode in a stude truck before, it was winter, and I could see the road going by under me..... Needless to say, I have wanted one ever since.
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by irish View Post
                  Thanks for the kind words, I got lucky on this one. I made a very low offer on the truck just to 'start the haggling' and the seller accepted my offer. Don't know about a missing distributor assuming it's the same truck, when I bought it the distributor was in it. Although I was told the truck didn't have any fire, it did have fire, just had all the spark plug cables hooked up wrong! 30 minutes after I got the truck in my garage I had it running.

Joe
                  OOOOhhh, I wish you hadn't said that! LOL, now I feel really bad about procrastinating for two months.

Nah, not really. All I need is another project around here. Glad to hear it turned out so well for you though. By the by... is the truck silver or green? I never could really tell in the photos.
                  Ron Smith

Comment

Got my first truck a '63 8E7 in December and have had a great time making it road-worthy.

Comment

The truck is green, green mist metallic. The pics weren't very good and all that dirt on the truck didn't help either!

Joe
                      Last edited by irish; 08-08-2010, 01:49 PM.
                      sigpic

1962 Daytona
                      1964 Cruiser
                      And a few others

Comment

Congratulations Joe ...

I will own a Studebaker pickup truck someday, after my wife gets over the shock of what I am spending on my Avanti. I really like the Champ PU's but as of late have fallen in love with the 1956 Transtar PU's. Here are a few really nice examples I snatched from the web to dream about.
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic
                        John
                        63R-2386
                        Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

I have to agree with you, John. I have a '62 Champ that I drive everyday. It sat under an oak tree for twenty five years, where the previous owner parked it just before he died. It's a good truck, however I'd trade Ed for a similar '56 any day. By the way, I really like the two-tone green one! I'd love to do a Transtar in Bess' colours so that they match (sans the rust and peeling, LOL). Side mounted spares... Ah well... dream on.
                          Ron Smith

Comment

Good Luck with your new project! Got to love both trucks and new projects to get those juices flowing.
                            Good Roads
                            Brian
                            Brian Woods
                            woodysrods@shaw.ca
                            1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by okc63avanti View Post
                              Congratulations Joe ...

I will own a Studebaker pickup truck someday, after my wife gets over the shock of what I am spending on my Avanti. I really like the Champ PU's but as of late have fallen in love with the 1956 Transtar PU's. Here are a few really nice examples I snatched from the web to dream about.
                              John, as far as I know, that red and white one in your post is still for sale.

Comment

Working...
                              X