Crankshaft Bolt Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crankshaft Bolt Removal

Ive read several threads on this topic all of which were for tightening but for removal my electric impact wont do the job.. Perhaps I need an air one but in my situation this 57 Hawk is an automatic (other suggestions were for manual which is simple)
    In loosening the teeth on the ring gear are at a location disadvantage so I tried jamming wood in there to stop the crank, didnt work, I tried using the torque converter drain bolt holding it through the hole - impossible when you are just one person..
    Any other suggesions? I could pull the starter but dont see how I can get leverage at that angle.
    This car has A/C with a 2nd pulley which is offset about 2" out from the main pulley so it has a different bolt with a 1" head..

Perhaps an electric impact is nothing compared to an air one.. If you think that would work, That's what I'll do but not sure that will do over 80 footpounds or so needed??

Would be easier if you had a helper (wife?). If you can put a break over bar on the bolt and rest it against an area on the left side of the frame/body and bump the starter, this should loosen it. If no helper at all, use a remote starter switch so you can hold the bar on while bumping the starter.

Ted

Originally posted by HammondA100 View Post
    Ive read several threads on this topic all of which were for tightening but for removal my electric impact wont do the job.. Perhaps I need an air one but in my situation this 57 Hawk is an automatic (other suggestions were for manual which is simple)
    In loosening the teeth on the ring gear are at a location disadvantage so I tried jamming wood in there to stop the crank, didnt work, I tried using the torque converter drain bolt holding it through the hole - impossible when you are just one person..
    Any other suggesions? I could pull the starter but dont see how I can get leverage at that angle.
    This car has A/C with a 2nd pulley which is offset about 2" out from the main pulley so it has a different bolt with a 1" head..

Perhaps an electric impact is nothing compared to an air one.. If you think that would work, That's what I'll do but not sure that will do over 80 footpounds or so needed??

Comment

What I do is use one of these, wrapped around the crank pulley: http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/vis27.html
      You can usually put a small piece of pipe on the end of it to hold it against the frame rail. Sounds dangerous, but in 20 years of working on old cars it's never failed me or damaged anything.

Comment

this is exactly how to do it. Mac tools and others make a similar chain wrench without the vise-grip aspect, same idea, and allows you to apply torque in aither direction to put the bolt on or off. wrap it around the pulley as appropriate, and it will be rel;atively straightforward. I'd avoid the starter motor method. thanks, m weiss

Comment

If the 'rattle-gun' is insufficient, I use an electric "wind up & strike" nut/bolt remover. Don't need to hold the crank either. Be sure to use a hex socket, though.
          / H

Comment

I have sold and used Aro, Ingersol-Rand, Sioux, Snap-On, Master Power, and other brands of air tools. Any decent 1/2" drive air powered impact wrench operating with sufficient cfm at 90 psi should easily remove even a rusty crank bolt. Also, I have a Nissan truck with over 334,000 miles on it. It requires a new timing belt every 60 thousand miles. Each time I have replaced the timing belt, I have placed a breaker bar with the correct socket on the crank bolt, braced the breaker bar, disconnected the coil and bumped the starter to loosen the crank bolt. Never any problem with this method. The only reason I do it this way instead of using an impact wrench is that I am too lazy to remove the grille and radiator on the Nissan like I usually do on a Studebaker for easy access.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

If you have room to do so, put a break over handle and socket on the bolt or an end wrench, then hit it with a pretty good sized hammer. This has worked every time I've tried it. The sudden jolt usually breaks it loose.

Comment

By chance....did you bend up the bolt locking tab?

Comment

"By chance....did you bend up the bolt locking tab?"

Agreed. This all sounds much harder than it ought to be.

Comment

Originally posted by 31Streetrod View Post
                    By chance....did you bend up the bolt locking tab?
                    Oh yes,, This being a air conditioning pulley there is no provision for the french tab.. But I did try the sledge on the socket (1/2" drive) but because of the thin head of the bolt it's near impossible to do w/o loosing a grip and scaring the bolt.
                    The starter method is a good one but the engine is striped down and no lube anywhere so I want to avoid that. I really like the vicegrip chain idea, that is my style. Didnt think that chain would grip that well w/o damage but I may try but I have a compressor and need a good impact anyway so I'm heading to one of the retail stores to take a look. Wish me luck as this is a booger!!

P.S. I asked my wife but she's a little ticked about the garage floor since I pulled out the freeze plugs.. Not even the pans & cardboard could control the mess. I should of taken a picture!!

Comment

That's OK, I think we get the message! Been there done that, but always on the driveway. Requires lots of hosing down... real quick!
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        That's OK, I think we get the message! Been there done that, but always on the driveway. Requires lots of hosing down... real quick!
                        I'd do it on the driveway but w/o power it's to steep and don't want to push with my eagle as the stude has no bumpers on it yet.. I was tempted. Got the impact - will get out there in an hour to see if it works.

Comment

It worked. The impact took some time but worked! ALso this one (long nose AC Pulley) has some sort of copper washer sleeve pressed into the pully. Not a french lock as it was perfectly round but soft enough to warrent the bolt from letting loose.

Now pulling the crank hub was not at all a problem but now I can see what the pusher tool is for. I can order one but is this something commonly available? Generally I just use the pulley bolt to draw it all together.

this one here looks like one could make out of an old socket. I only would need it once.. Well we do have one Studebaker guy here in town.. Ill have to call him up.

Comment

Working...
                          X