PDA

View Full Version : Neat car on e-bay

studeclunker
09-01-2006, 12:36 AM
saw this on e-bay. Thought it might interest someone else. Nice car huh? It's on the south island of New Zealand. Which incidentally is one of the filming locations for; Lord of the Rings as well as; The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1937-studebaker-dictator-coupe_W0QQitemZ160024765619QQihZ006QQcategoryZ6466QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Nice car huh? I've asked about the absence of right side photos. Which with this car, by the way, is the driver's side.
I've just had another attack of my foot-in-mouth disease. It's right front down the side, and left rear down the side. DUH!

These are some of the responses I've recieved from my questions to the seller:

Shipping costs:

no problems at all $1800 to $2000 US for costs to the US coast and can be all organised from here at your cost.

My concerns about dealing with a seller in a foreign country:

I would make sure that everythings is above board and would personally oversee and of the shipping arrangements. there are several shipping companys that can be used and would of course shop arround for the best deal for the purchaser

I know its a toll call but to save any hassles you can ring Phil on 092751103 in New Zealand to confirm pricing etc. I totally understand your concerns Regards Dave Elley

Just saw this:

Q: Hi, Very nice looking car, what is the running gear and upholstery like, have they been done up, etc. cheers Dave
Aug-31-06
A: have owned the car for approx 20 years. Has had normal tlc over the last 70 years but otherwise a genuine old car.You can call me on 0272950604 reserve has been lowered relisted on ebay last bid was US $15100 not enough. It is worth you coming to view the car if it is what you are looking for very hard to find a unmolested model like this one.
(bolding mine - RKS)

Looks like this has been on the bay before. Fifteen grand wasn't enough? Blimey! Out of my league.

Does anybody know of a chapter in New Zealand? Perhaps we can get someone to look at this?

Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith

studevic
09-01-2006, 03:09 AM
Hi , I visit New Zealand often and keep track of Studes in this part of the world,you could contact Terry Colville at T.Colville@extra.co.nz He may have information on this car .Terry is in the NZ STUDE CLUB.
My view is that for the money you would be better off buying one in the USA. The price for this car may be to much once you include freight, customs duty and tax not to mention the stuffing around which would be involved. I have done this and its not easy.Also the New Zealand Dollar is at a low at the moment which is why I would say the seller will get a good return for the US dollars , say $15000 US would be around $20,000 + NZ, not a bad price for the seller and plus the car needs a bit of work so more money. This is only my view ,its up to you to decide what to do .regards.

R.A.Jennings

studevic
09-01-2006, 03:09 AM
Hi , I visit New Zealand often and keep track of Studes in this part of the world,you could contact Terry Colville at T.Colville@extra.co.nz He may have information on this car .Terry is in the NZ STUDE CLUB.
My view is that for the money you would be better off buying one in the USA. The price for this car may be to much once you include freight, customs duty and tax not to mention the stuffing around which would be involved. I have done this and its not easy.Also the New Zealand Dollar is at a low at the moment which is why I would say the seller will get a good return for the US dollars , say $15000 US would be around $20,000 + NZ, not a bad price for the seller and plus the car needs a bit of work so more money. This is only my view ,its up to you to decide what to do .regards.

R.A.Jennings