Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OHV 6 bellhousings

Gang,

I'm trying to figure out if I can use a truck bellhousing to put a T-86 behind a full flow OHV 6 on an early Lark. Alas, I do not have a late Champ truck to inspect.

I know that in cars Champion engines place the starter motor high on the driver side of the engine, and that in trucks the starter is mounted (low, I think) on the passenger side. But what happened with trucks when the OHV 6 went to a full flow oil filter?

Does the starter sit high enough on the passenger side to clear the oil filter, or do the oil filter and starter somehow both fit on the passenger side, or did the starter get moved back to the driver side? Or something else?

Thanks, Gary

Gary, I've got a BH here that's from an 8E with OHV6 in it. I'll go out and see if I can scare it up to look at. The parts books call for a different part number bell housing between 7E (1962) and 8E ('63-64) trucks with a 6cylinder and 3-spd trans.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Gary; I guess you do know that you will have to hand make a lot of special parts and do a little engineering to come up with engine mount brackets and linkage that work in a Lark, because of the big differences between the two housings?
      Now if you just had a Taxicab housing...Hmmm!

1:12PM PDT UPDATE: Darn, it almost worked, 1548859 is is for Y1 '60-'63 W/10 1/2 in. clutch and T86, but SASCO is out of em. Quite often that is just the kind of thing that Stude. had lots of left over, probably got tossed in SASCO's last move!

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Or tossed before SASCO even came to be! There were scrapped good parts under Standard Surplus' days. Rememeber the infamous stack of fenders photograph???[V]

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Rich,

Yeah, those taxicab bell housings have been the "stuff of dreams" for almost as long as the Maltese Falcon. That's why I've been kicking around the truck idea. Thanks for the effort tho.

Gary

Comment

On a similar note, Sasco has a number of T-90 taxicab transmissions with cone/top cover shifters from 65-66 model years. I think I might have to change input shafts to use a stock size clutch. I have been wondering if I use a OHV truck bellhousing since I doubt any taxicab bellhousings still exist at SASCO. My lark doesn't have an oil filter the starter can be anywhere.

On the truck full flow engines the starter was in the way so a blockoff plate was used and a remote oil filter was used until the 8E series where the starter was moved to above.

maybe SASCO has taxi bh for the smaller clutch from 59-60?

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
            The Replacements.
            \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
            The Replacements.

Comment

JeffT writes: "On the truck full flow engines the starter was in the way so a blockoff plate was used and a remote oil filter was used until the 8E series where the starter was moved to above."

That's interesting Jeff, because the parts books show the full-flo oil filter base as being used on the 8E5s. How did they do that??? I HAD an 8E5 for a time but the PO had taken the engine apart to fix it and the block got lost by some machine shop. The PO got tired of storing the old truck and gave it to me - musta been 10 or 12 years ago.

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

Comment

I know I'm the one who started all this, but more things have come to mind.

First, apparently the truck/taxi T-90 used a shorter input shaft and nose piece than regular cars, so that a truck BH probably still won't let me use the car T-86. Further, the T-90's had straight cut first and reverse gears, so that I won't be able to simply put those T-90 parts onto my T-86. Oh well!

Finally, Jeff, are you thinking about using a truck BH in a Lark? If so consider that the truck BH may very well run into the car crossmember.

Comment

From the 8E truck specification book, The T90B used in 8E5/10s have an input shaft of 6 5/16" and the splines that the clutch slides on ,are 1 1/8th w/ ten splines just like all the rest of the Stude clutches.

Also on the 8E5/10, the book specifies the starter, an Autolite MDU-7025 is mounted on the LEFT side of the engine below center line of crankshaft, ie just like the V8s.

3E38
                  4E2
                  4E28
                  5E13
                  7E7
                  8E7
                  8E12
                  8E28
                  4E2
                  59 Lark
                  etc

Comment

Perhaps I am guilty of recalling an application or two from champs I have scrapped and seen in salvage yards. I have see ohv 6 full flow blocks in trucks with the starter on the lower right. Since the starter was in the way the full flow face had a block off plate.

I will confess that I sometimes forget what model years coinsided with the truck E series. I have an early 62 lark with no oil fileter boss on the lower rights, I also have three other ohv 6 blocks with oil filter bosses.

Jeff T.

Another odd thought if the taxi transmission was used with a 10 1/2 inch clutch wouldn't the input shaft be longer??? since the Y1 used a V8 flywheel and the pilot was in the crank and not the flywheel???

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
                    The Replacements.
                    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
                    The Replacements.

Comment

Transtar60, Thank you for the further info. Maybe I'm still in the hunt! Gary

Comment

Heh ..... that might also explain why I couldn't FIND the 8E5 BH I KNOW I have lying around here someplace! [}]

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Working...
                        X