OD question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OD question

Probably a stupid question, but I just received a 1950 1/2 ton Stude from my dad. In 1986, he had the motor rebuilt and installed along with a 3 speed OD tranny. The OD was never hooked up. Can anyone explain to me how the OD works and whether or not I can hook uo the electrical part to a toggle switch? FYI the OD cable has to be pulled out in order for the tranny to be engaged.

the OD cable has to be pulled out in order for the tranny to be engaged

This is true but backwards. The OD cable has to be pushed in to allow the OD to be engaged.

You will need an electrical schematic to wire up the OD, it's simple yet complex.

Comment

To add to this, it is not recommended to try to short-circuit the OD kickdown switch. There are those few who have successfully used a simple toggle switch and there are those who have lunched trannies cobbling on the OD circuit. Get a shop manual and follow the wiring diagrams. It is simple, idiot-proof and doubles the driving pleasure.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

It's not that difficult and, if things are properly connected, you will have complete control of your overdrive without your hands ever leaving the wheel.
        You'll love it!
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

You say that the overdrive was installed but never hooked up. Do you know if the overdrive electrical switches were installed and the mechanical linkage that makes them work. On the firewall there should be the "overdrive relay switch" and there will be a bracket with the "overdrive kick down switch" that is activated by a mechanical linkage when the accelerator is pushed to the floor when you need the extra power for pulling hills or passing. An overdrive wiring harness is needed to connect your overdrive solenoid, governor, relay, and kickdown switch. If all this is there, then you are ahead of the game. If you have the proper shop manual, you should be able to check the connections. When installing or rewiring an overdrive, I like to put the vehicle on good jack stands and run it through its paces before taking it out on the street.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I'm about in the same situation. My 1949 2R5 had a replacement tranny with OD installed when I bout it 20 years ago. The OD was never hooked up and the truck was missing the associated parts. Over the years I have accumulated a few pieces. I am missing the linkage for the kickdown switch and can't find it anywhere. Any suggestions? Also I have a 12 volt relay and my truck is 6 volt. Can I use the 12 volt relay? I have the wiring, kickdown switch, lock out cable, and wiring diagram so I am anxious to get it working.

Thanks.

Comment

The Borg-Warner manual is several places on line. Here is one:
              http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/trans/B...rive/index.htm
              Lots of good repair and troubleshooting advice here. Some of the electirical parts have been reproduced too.

Nathan

Comment

I have an OD schematic that I could send you if you wish
                sigpic
                55 President Deluxe
                64 Commander
                66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                  To add to this, it is not recommended to try to short-circuit the OD kickdown switch. There are those few who have successfully used a simple toggle switch and there are those who have lunched trannies cobbling on the OD circuit. Get a shop manual and follow the wiring diagrams. It is simple, idiot-proof and doubles the driving pleasure.

jack vines
                  Heed what Jack says! The simplest way to ruin an overdrive transmission is to bypass the controls with a toggle switch and make the wrong choice once...

Off topic, but I have always been a bit bemused that Borg Warner thought up such a Rube Goldberg arrangement for the controls of overdrive--some parts of which in later cars were deemed 'not necessary' (unless there were fools who wanted to drive more than 32 mph in reverse). I love the overdrive in my cars, both 6 and V8. Simple, yet complex (or complex, yet simple) at the same time. Once you have done the trouble-shooting once or twice by following the instructions step by step, it is not hard at all. However, I always thought that a much simpler arrangement would have been to have a click-in/click-out button on the end of the shifter that read "overdrive" when out and nothing when in, and was fail-safe with a second switch to energize either way on or off only when the clutch pedal was held to the floor above the cut-off point of freewheeling at +/- 32 mph, a la hillholder. That is, if you wanted to retain having a governor at all. Second, if the overdrive was in the 'on' position, it physically blocked the shifter from going into reverse, like the pull-back detent on automatic shifters or the lift-the-shifter etc on some manual transmissions. I really liked the simpler Twin-Stick or what ever it was called on the 80's Mitsubishi/Dodge/Plymouth "Colt" cars when you had 4 speeds in 'power' 1-2-3-4 or 4 speeds in 'economy' 2-3-4-5 just by shifting a smaller second shift lever up or down with the clutch in to change the final drive ratio.

Comment

Pushrod - here's a pic of the firewall linkage:

Comment

Originally posted by 2moredoors View Post
                      I have an OD schematic that I could send you if you wish
                      welland, eh? i used to long-distance-date a girl that lives in welland. was there last year. she's the manager of ardene at the mall.

Comment

Working...
                      X