Help me, help me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me, help me.

My wife will kill me if I bid on and win this. It is absolutely identical to the first car I ever owned, in 1964. I'm afraid I can't resist, even at the BIN price.

So, sharp-eyed experts. look at this thing, pick out all the flaws and faults, and convince me that : it's over priced...or has flaws I don't see...or would be a bad investment...or is a scam...or something, anything.

The paint, interior and chrome looks nice. The engine could be detailed alot better. It doesn't impress me as a 38,000 mile car that they claim. It's had too much work done to it and the wear on the brake pedal seems to indiacate more use. It would take a closer look to detemine if there are more miles on it or just not well preserved through the years. Still a nice looking car.

Ken

Comment

I was in the same position a few months ago. 1957 Silver Hawk. Same color combination as my first car. Even though it was on the West Coast I was ready to try to get in a last minute bid. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately the car was taken off of EBAY the last day. I later found out that the car was sold off of EBAY. GO FOR IT.

Comment

.Looking at the total mess under the hood,I have a very hard time believing 38,000 miles.
        .No pics of bottom of car
        .No mention of previous rust,rust repair,etc.
        .I'd definitely see this one in person before bidding.
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

You need to have someone look at it for you unless you are close.
          If its all that it is said to be and I was you I would get it if I had the means to do so.
          Sometimes we don't get a second chance. If you can get your investment back out of it than its just like having Money in the bank.
          Instead of small balance growing no interest we invested in Studebakers. So far we are ahead.
          Last edited by Anne F. Goodman; 08-03-2010, 01:50 PM. Reason: spelling, I didn't look until after I posted
          Mabel 1949 Champion
          Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          The Prez 1955 President State
          Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
          Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
          Fresno,Ca

Comment

Well...you've probably heard the old saying..."it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission."

Go ahead a buy it. Then you can tell her I personally gave you permission. I will assure you that it will carry as much weight under your roof as it does mine!
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The engine looks like it was replaced in the past as it has what appears to be an early 4 barrel manifold and carb on it and it's painted the wrong color with the wrong air cleaner installed. I would bet the mileage is 138,000 and not 38,000. If the body and frame aren't full of rust, it's still a decent car. Bud

Comment

Oh, go ahead and buy it. Store here at my house for FREE! I'll drive it for you. And your wife won't ever know about it.

Comment

It is a nice car, but there are some clear issues that cause me to believe that you could probably purchase this one for considerably less if you were to see it and speak to the owner.

Comment

Will there's only one way to find out ... "GO FOR IT"

Comment

Would be nice to see under the trunk mat.
                      sigpic
                      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by 1950 Champion RegalDeluxe View Post
                        It is a nice car, but there are some clear issues that cause me to believe that you could probably purchase this one for considerably less if you were to see it and speak to the owner.
                        it's listed out of an "I Sold It" store in Indiana. Find it hard to believe that the owner could not sell a Stude in Indiana (Hello Home of Studebakers!) without paying the ridiculous fees those kind of stores charge for listing it for someone. They can charge up to 30 or 40 percent. Obviously it would not be that much on a car, but I have heard about their fees. The I sold it store near me was only open a short time and went belly up. Maybe an old fart who was clueless about computers and internet. But still, should have been able to find a friend or family to list it for you, especially in Indiana. Makes me wonder what fees are built into the listing price? Because the store has to make a cut of the money, too.

Get a hold of the owner and try to buy it outside of ebay.
                        Just my $.02

oops, that's right, we were supposed to talk you out of buying it.
                        Oh well.
                        Last edited by gohdes; 08-03-2010, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Says it's in Granger which is right next to South Bend. If only I had money... lol
                          Chris Dresbach

Comment

When you are in that kind of $ range it is worth the air fare to go look, make the deal and drive it home. Why not! It is summer, and if it is the car that you want and it looks as good as it does on ebay. Then take some cash and enjoy your trip home in your new car. Second chances are few and far between!!
                            Good Roads
                            Brian
                            PS I did the same less than 2 weeks ago and have had a great 2 weeks knowing that I got a car I hope to have for at least the next 25 or 30 years, that I could have missed if I hesitated??
                            Brian Woods
                            woodysrods@shaw.ca
                            1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
                              When you are in that kind of $ range it is worth the air fare to go look, make the deal and drive it home. Why not! It is summer, and if it is the car that you want and it looks as good as it does on ebay. Then take some cash and enjoy your trip home in your new car. Second chances are few and far between!!
                              Good Roads
                              Brian
                              PS I did the same less than 2 weeks ago and have had a great 2 weeks knowing that I got a car I hope to have for at least the next 25 or 30 years, that I could have missed if I hesitated??
                              I agree. If the situation is good where you can get the car and enjoy it, go for it. Don't pass on it if you will regret it later. But that's just me.
                              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                              X