radio speaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radio speaker

does anyone have a recommendation for an original type replacement radio speaker (dash and or rear) for a 63 GT? Original AM FM radio works but speakers are failing.

The original rear speaker is 5x7 inch with a 10 ohm impedence, but you can use an 8 ohm speaker with no problem. The front speaker is a 4x8 inch which is an obsolete part. You can have your original speakers reconed. I use Jackson Speaker Service in Michigan and have gotten good service from them and the price isn't outrageous. Their phone is 517-789-6400. There is also a supplier of new antique car speakers, but I'll have to find it. I'll post the web address and phone number as soon as I find them. Bud

Comment

I found the website for replacement speakers. It's Electro-Tech Inc. at turnswitch.com. Bud

Comment

If you have patience, like inexpensive alternatives, are innovative, and enjoy little adventures, try to find a "Hamfest" near you. A hamfest is what the amature radio enthusiasts call their swap meets and is a fun way to spend part of a saturday. Take one of your old speakers with you if you can. In my experience, you can find almost anything electronic or electrical at these events. Speakers, connectors, heat shrink tubing, tools, computers, and of course all types of components. Very often, if you deal respectfully, you can buy stuff for penny's on the dollar. Who cares if you have to do a little modifying, drill a new hole, or enlarge one, because the speakers will be out of sight anyway. Good luck.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Try Tom Karkiwich , I just bought a NOS one from him last month , he may have more .
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
            The original rear speaker is 5x7 inch with a 10 ohm impedence, but you can use an 8 ohm speaker with no problem. The front speaker is a 4x8 inch which is an obsolete part. You can have your original speakers reconed. I use Jackson Speaker Service in Michigan and have gotten good service from them and the price isn't outrageous. Their phone is 517-789-6400. There is also a supplier of new antique car speakers, but I'll have to find it. I'll post the web address and phone number as soon as I find them. Bud
            5x7's are easy to find. Check www.crutchfield.com. Bud, are you sure the front is 4x8 and not 4x10? 4x10's are also available at Crutchfield. I don't think I've ever seen a 4x8.
            Chip
            '63 Cruiser
            '57 Packard wagon
            '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
            '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

The Hawks from 1958 to early 1963 have a 4x8 in speaker in the panel as well as the 59 to 60 Larks and I believe that the 61 Larks and all of the Champ trucks use the same 4x8 in speaker. My 62 Hawk and the 64 Champ that I had both have the 4x8 speaker installed as original equipment. The 62 through 66 Larks and the Avantis use a 4x10 speaker. Bud

Comment

Just replaced the rear speaker in the Avanti with one from Electro-Tech - fast service, good price and it sounds great! Russ Farris

1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                  The Hawks from 1958 to early 1963 have a 4x8 in speaker in the panel as well as the 59 to 60 Larks and I believe that the 61 Larks and all of the Champ trucks use the same 4x8 in speaker. My 62 Hawk and the 64 Champ that I had both have the 4x8 speaker installed as original equipment. The 62 through 66 Larks and the Avantis use a 4x10 speaker. Bud
                  Thanks for that info. My '61 Lark wagon also has the 4x10 in the dash.
                  Chip
                  '63 Cruiser
                  '57 Packard wagon
                  '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                  '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Glad I found this thread. I just got off the phone with the guy at turnswitch.com and found out that the radio in my 61 Hawk is actually a 1960 model! He seemed very knowledgeable and told me that it wasn't uncommon for Studebaker to put last years radio in the current year car if they had left over stock. Anyway, I ordered a repro 4"x 8" speaker from them. Should get here by the end of the week.
                    sigpic
                    1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

Tested and confirmed working! The repro 4x8 inch 8-ohm speaker works great with my fifty year old radio.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	1687294
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic
                      1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

Working...
                      X