Challenging restorations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challenging restorations

With my '40, people sometimes ask me "Your'e going to restore it? It has rust." This got me thinking, I know my car isn't that bad. What's the most challenging restoration you have ever done?
    Chris Dresbach

63 Avanti from Mi. even the frame was rusted out. It should of been parted out, and I would made money. But it was an R2 and the engine was said to been redone. (??) Built a 60 Conv. frame to fit the Avanti, and dad found NOS Hog thingie and was that ever a bitch. Looks good now. Insatalled A/C while we at the rebuild.
    Last edited by railway; 08-02-2010, 10:18 PM.

Comment

It is hard to single one out, but a 1955 Speedster comes to mind. Upon trying to open the driver's door, the door skin peeled off the door frame. We did pull the 200K engine apart on the way to the junk yard and found it to be excellent inside (this was many years ago). This Speedster was a car that had been used as regular transportation in the Hudson Valley for 200K miles. It turned into a first place car.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
        With my '40, people sometimes ask me "Your'e going to restore it? It has rust." This got me thinking, I know my car isn't that bad. What's the most challenging restoration you have ever done?
        As always...the next one!
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Chris

It's was a tie between the 39 Ford coupe that took three separate bodies and two frames to build or the 54K in my signature.

After some thought, I think it was the 54K. Every body panel, including the roof and doors, had rust out and required forming some form of patch panel as well as replacing most of the floor.

The 83 Avanti is much more fun as it is mostly mechanical.

Bob

Comment

I've had people ask me when I'm going to redo mine and others say don't you dare, keep it as is. Mine is "bone stock" complete with worn out paint job. I keep thinking to myself once it's touched it won't be the same any more.

My floor is solid and I have very little rust, but the rust is trying it's best to advance. My last quote on body and paint was 6K, I paid $1500. for my Scotty and it runs and drives. I'm holding out, I have a 70 Chevelle and I drive the Studie more then I do it cause it's restored and I'm afraid I'll get it dirty I don't want that same fate with my beloved Studie.
            Last edited by JunkYarDog; 08-03-2010, 06:57 PM.

Comment

My son and myself are restoring a 64 Daytona 4-door. Bought new in May 1964. Had to replace the bottom plate on the frame. Rebuild the upper part of the cowl where the hinges attach. Had to rebuild the lower hinge area. remake the floor pans, replace the rockers, totally rebuild the rear pillars behind the door, and remake the entire trunk area including the sides. Bought four new doors, front and rear fenders, new fender aprons, new rear panel, new windshield, new re-pro interor from "Phantom", rebuilt front end, rebuilt motor. The list goes one. 5-years and not done yet!

Were we nuts? YES! But we have enjoyed the challenge.

T-cab
              Last edited by T-CAB; 08-03-2010, 07:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

My Son back when he was in High School, We bought a 74 Nova coupe minus engine and transmission. We biult the car together and rebiult a motor for it, The project was something that really brought us together and we both injoyed. Sometimes you just got to forget about the $$$$ and realize what value it can bring in other ways.

Comment

I've done 2 from the bare shell up. A resto to stock is a bit easier, because you have all the parts already. If you're going to modify it, there will be some degree of fabricating from scratch and figuring out how to connect parts. Restorations are incredibly fun and gratifying to do. Start with a good plan, then double your budget and triple the time alloted.

Comment

Originally posted by Michidan View Post
                    Restorations are incredibly fun and gratifying to do. Start with a good plan, then double your budget and triple the time alloted.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                    X