Horn knocks out Tach??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horn knocks out Tach??

Yesterday we took the R1 Hawk out for a 150 mile drive, to and from Turkey Run State Park, on the western side of Indiana. Great drive, got great gas mileage with Dave Thibeault's rebuild of the AFB.

A farmer spotted the car as we drove down In 75, so I decided to give him a toot of the horn. When I did, the Horn worked the first time I used it, but I noticed the Ammeter jumped way over on the positive side for a second then came back to normal, the Tach jumped way up from where it was, then went to zero and stayed there the rest of the way over to the park. The horn also did not sound the second time I used it.

When we reached the park and turned off the car, I bumped the horn accidently taking a bag out and the horn worked again. When we started the car for the trip home the Tach came back on and worked normally the rest of the way home. I kept my hands off the horn. I checked the horn relay and found that the triangular plastic connector from the harness that attaches to it was partly melted on the side of where it fits on the front terminal of the relay.

I took the cover off the relay-I couldn't see any obvious problems, except the front connector prong that fits into the harness connector where it was melted seemed to be bent and not parallel to the other two prongs.

Obviously, something shorted out. Before I start tracing and testing back the four wires that connect to the relay, anyone have any ideas that would explain this and how the Tach was temporarily knocked out? Thanks! Dan

The four wires that attach to the relay.

One is hot, from the battery.

One is open, when you hit the horn (button or ring) it goes to ground, activating the relay itself, which then feeds voltage to the two wires that go to the horns.

Comment

Working...
    X