Problem solved, but not fixed, yet...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem solved, but not fixed, yet...

I think I figured out the problem with my '40. It has no fuel pressure at all. I guess the pump can't keep up with the engine keeping fuel in the lines, so when the engine is at high RPM it usues more gas and draines the lines until the pump refills them. (It will ONLY quit at high RPM) So I guess it needs a higher PSI fuel pump. (btw: Mine has an electric pump, not mechanical) My question is when I look for a new pump, what PSI should it have to keep the engine running? Standard 6cyl engine. (And any other suggestions)
    Thanks.
    Chris Dresbach

Is the electric pump that you have made to run on 6 volts? A 12 volt pump would run very slow on 6 volts. Aside from that, have your fuel lines been replaced? Old fuel lines could be constricted therefor not allowing enough fuel to pump through.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

You should be running about 4.5 to 5.5 psi fuel pressure.

Comment

Did you check the gas tank to be sure the pickup tube isn't obstructed? That's what was keeping my '61 Lark from running more than a mile or so. It would idle fine and run for a short distance, then the carb couldn't refill fast enough and it would bog down and stall if I didn't slow down.
        Chip
        '63 Cruiser
        '57 Packard wagon
        '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
        '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Obvious solution: take the pump out of the car, put a hose on the suction fitting, and drop the other end into a jerry can of gas. Put a pressure gauge on the other fitting, and run the pump. If it shows normal pressure, you have a problem with constricted lines in the car. If it doesn't, you need to service or replace the pump.
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I tested the voltage on the pump and it's at 12.19v with it ON. The battery alone is 12.54v. I did test the pressure with a gauge off the line to the carb and it was at "0" with one pump so I changed the pump and it went up to "1". I was thinking the line into the gas tank may be semi sealed off at the tank being that I just had it coated.
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by raoul5788 View Post
              Did you check the gas tank to be sure the pickup tube isn't obstructed? That's what was keeping my '61 Lark from running more than a mile or so. It would idle fine and run for a short distance, then the carb couldn't refill fast enough and it would bog down and stall if I didn't slow down.
              That was the problem. The pickup tube in it was blocked by the tank liner and restricted the fuel. So I capped that part of the line and ran a new one to where the drain plug is at the bottom of the tank. Probably not the greatest idea in the world, but as long as the gas dosen't have crud in it, it will work for now. I will probably take that line back off and add an extension into the tank by about an inch so there will always be some gas at the bottom of the tank (so crud is less likely to be sucked into the line if the pickup is at the bottom of the tank). I took it for a test drive with this new set up and it ran without a problem. Now I can get back to why I bought that car, to drive it.
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Another problem with having your pick-up line at the bottom-most part of the tank is that it will likely see some water being that water is heavier than gas and will settle to the very bottom.
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Why don't you try pushing an old speedometer cable through the stock pickup tube? Just might clear the line so you can use it.

Comment

Originally posted by whacker View Post
                    Why don't you try pushing an old speedometer cable through the stock pickup tube? Just might clear the line so you can use it.
                    That's on my "to do" list, but probably with a philips head screw driver. ?? What I will probably do for a tempoary fix is put an extension on the pickup tube going into the tank about an inch. That way there will always be about an inch of gas below the bottom of the pickup tube, and above any moisture at the bottom. That might almost be better than the stock position.
                    Chris Dresbach

Comment

the problem with that plan is that it will effectively reduce your tank capacity, as the bottom inch of the tank will never be used.

Personally I like the speedo cable idea. Chuck it in an electric drill and let it flail around a little inside the tube. I've even used that to clean out rust from rigid cable housings before (throttle cable on a 914) or if the pickup tube is mostly straight try shoving a small piece of all thread through it.

nate
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
                      X