PDA

View Full Version : Upper Quarter T-Strips

RHO
04-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Page 51 of April 2007 Turning Wheels, left narrow column shows a sketch of a panel with what appears to be two screw holes. Top of panel appears to be a long thin piece of metal. What is this? Is this that strip of metal that rises above the rear fender on both sides going nearly to the rear window? On the fenders of my '55 President, about 10-12" of this is missing (rotted off) on both sides. Could find no correlation in the body parts manual.

'55 Commander
'55 President

klifton1
04-11-2007, 07:25 PM
It's the T strip. Fits between the fender and the body tub, from the door post back. C & K.
Not uncommon to be rusted and gone.
Klif

55 Speedster
42 Champ Coupe

N8N
04-11-2007, 08:32 PM
I wonder why they used that instead of fender welt. I would think that fender welt would last longer and not promote rust so much.

In any case I would goo it up well with tar or seam sealer before installation.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

3rdGenStude
04-11-2007, 08:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by klifton1

It's the T strip. Fits between the fender and the body tub, from the door post back. C & K.
Not uncommon to be rusted and gone

What's the purpose of this? Did it just make it easier to align the partson the assembly line? My '50 is in the same condition described by RHO. I would guess that a flat strip of steel welded across that area would serve the same purpose of strengthening, but be a whole lot easier than trying to form a "T" (or bend a "T" extrusion of some kind) and weld it in from every which way on top and bottom.

How badly would the easier fix be frowned upon in concourse judging? COnsidering the location, the appearance wouldn't really matter. The strength would.

edit: just read Nate's post. OK, I guess we're not talking about the same thing. I was talking about a piece that protrudes above the wheel well and is visible with the trunkk open. Sorry.

Paul

1950 Land Cruiser project

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q248/3rdGenStude/Avatars/R_front.jpg http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q248/3rdGenStude/Avatars/back_view.jpg

RHO
04-11-2007, 09:09 PM
OK, will have to look more thoroughly at my '55 tomorrow to see just how this "T-strip" is attached and see how I can remove what is still there. Unfortunately it does have to be dealt with and I am also curious why this might have been designed that way and why I could not find it in the body parts manual unless I just overlooked it.

'55 Commander
'55 President

klifton1
04-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Look in the chassis parts manual. Page 460. Part # 1604-7
Seam sealer should be used on it, and a lot of it.
Klif

55 Speedster
42 Champ Coupe

RHO
04-11-2007, 09:47 PM
The chassis manual, ok, I'll check it out. Thanks.

'55 Commander
'55 President

rockne10
04-11-2007, 10:54 PM
These pieces did not originally have a solid protrusion into the fender seam. They had four or five tabs that kept them in place and were sealed with a very small amount of dumm-dumm. I would not use seam sealer. It may be possible to carefully pry them out without loosening the bolts, which are only accessible by removing the interior rear trim panels; getting new ones in will require loosening those bolts.

Fortunately, even after bead-blasting those strips, I have lost only minor portions of the tabs. My originals are reusable[^] and are being heavily primed before painting.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

KGlowacky
04-11-2007, 11:11 PM
Not owning this model or year. I wonder if this is the same strip used on my 56 wagon between the quarter panel and fiberglass fin. It is a 1/4 strip that covered up the seam where the fin meets the quarter. It had studs that slid in the channel that bolts from the inside. Can not find anyone that sells it. I'm thinking of getting a piece of SS trim off something and using it. Well if this isn't the same part sorry I wasted your time.

RHO
04-12-2007, 07:50 AM
The upper quarter T-strips to which I refer are produced by
http://www.classicent.com/sedans_wagons_53_58.php that was provided under the thread rocker panels.

'55 Commander
'55 President

Kdancy
04-16-2007, 01:42 PM
The 55 champion sedan that I am working on has these as well. They are much shorter than the C-K ones. Does anyone carry them?

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
61 Cursed Purple Hawk
64 Champ long bed V8

rockne10
04-16-2007, 09:29 PM
quote:The 55 champion sedan that I am working on has these as well. They are much shorter than the C-K ones. Does anyone carry them?I haven't seen them and Classic Enterprises doesn't list them. I suppose you could get the ones for the C/K and cut them to fit.
The ones I removed from my Coupe have a slight angle on the exposed bead, for left and right sides and are not interchangeable. How so with the repros?

RHO
04-17-2007, 08:57 PM
OK, 3 bolts each side loosened via 1/2" socket to pry out the three little brackets that hold the T-strip. The brackets open-ended holes just slide over the bolt and then are held in place via very large washers or backing plates. Not too bad to get to.

'55 Commander
'55 President