front sway bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front sway bar

I replaced thew front sway bar links and rubber today, I had no idea the bar was so hard to put back into place. We had to use a come-a- long to ratchet the end back into place , is there an easier way to do it? I will paint everything tomorrow and show some pic's. We are still welding on that driver's side support that was sheared off and replacing the bolt on the other side, that way the front will be seure and stable.

Studebakers forever!
    Studebakers forever!

Is the issue getting the bracket on each end in position so that you can start the bolt? The method I've always used is to begin with the rubber on the bar and the metal bracket started in the slot. Then use a BIG Channel Locks to rotate the assembly around and down, until you can get the bolt started a turn or two. If you begin with the Channels upside down, you may find that you are in a better angle to hold, once you are ready to fit the bolt.

Comment

I did this last week on my '53 and used two C-clamps; one to pull each bracket in and one to pull it up.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Timely. I'm about to put a 63Hawk GT swaybar on my '53...

Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I'm one tough sumbitch!
        -------------------
        Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

Working...
        X