PDA

View Full Version : Very interesting Avanti documentation

07-29-2010, 08:03 PM
Several weeks ago I clicked "Buy-It-Now" on several items that eBay seller avantilady (Betty from Nostalgic) had listed. They were photo copies of original Avanti factory documents that she had including the actual 'Passenger Car Production Order-Final Assembly Line" form, the factory to dealer invoice showing the actual dealer cost plus promo and advertising charges, and the "Avanti Vehicle Inspection Check Off Inspection Report". She has these forms for many, but not all, Studebaker Avantis.
It was kind of pricey, but I have found them fascinating. For one, the total dealer price was almost the same as the list base price, which indicates almost a 25% markup on the car. The Inspection Check Off is a four page form listing all the things the inspectors found that needed correcting after the car was supposedly completed. In the case of 5527 I counted 61 items. The report was continued with a fifth hand written page with more comments.
I scanned the first two forms plus the first page of the Inspection sheet and have them in the thumbnails. Unfortunately, to me the size limit, I had to scale them down pretty small.

barnlark
07-29-2010, 08:15 PM
Thanks for sharing that, Paul. Very interesting information. 61 corrected (hopefully) items, wow.

StudeRich
07-29-2010, 08:23 PM
Pretty neat documentation, they may start out small but the good news is they enlarge THREE times!

They really did try hard to make the Avantis as high quality as possible, to give the customers something for their Cadillac/Corvette price.

JDP
07-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Here's the inpection sheet from my old Survivor Avanti. (It was show car prepped)

http://www.studebaker-info.org/avdb/R5000/64R5275/R5275.html

Laemmle
07-29-2010, 10:10 PM
Here's the inpection sheet from my old Survivor Avanti. (It was show car prepped)

http://www.studebaker-info.org/avdb/R5000/64R5275/R5275.html

John I noticed that the a/c compressor looked like the oem example that came with the car........I have replaced three compressors since my '64 was new.........how did you keep yours working for so many years?

barnlark
07-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Even more impressive documentation! What a car, John. When I was eight, the kid across the street had that exact color combination. The first Avanti I had ever seen. It was less than a year old and still didn't look that beautiful. Survivor, indeed.

JDP
07-29-2010, 10:51 PM
John I noticed that the a/c compressor looked like the oem example that came with the car........I have replaced three compressors since my '64 was new.........how did you keep yours working for so many years?

I just owned the car for 3 years, the PO was a fanatic for pampering the car. For example, when I went to look at it, he would not take it outside the garage because it was misting and the car had not seen rain since the 70's. It was unrestored, just detailed by me and scored 392 points with factory paint and interior.It even had the factory asbestos sleeve on the choke tube.