Avanti inside rear deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti inside rear deck

Hello everyone in the fortress of solitude.

My 63 avanti has a faded rear inside deck. Does anyone know what was the orginal color?
    It looks either white or light gray.
    jerry defilippi

To add to Jerry's question, what ye all doin bout the original wood when it rots
    and sags down after 50 years? I thought I read that someone makes these in
    Fiberglass? But, could you remove them and cut new ones? What type wood?

The little door is wood too right? How does it come out? I thought I saw some
    screws underneath, or are there hidden ones?

As for color ... mine is Fawn.

Tom
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

All '63s should have a fawn color rear deck...same goes for the dash padding, headliner, upper door padding and inside sail panels.

As for the rear deck, you could always use your original as a template and cut another piece of plywood...after all...if your original lasted nearly fifty years, that's not bad service. I would also consider using a piece of acrylic the same thickness...it would last the life of the car. Cut it to the same shape with a sabre saw, sand the edges smooth and add foam padding under the upholstery....same as with wood.

The rear deck is attached with screws you access from inside the trunk.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

thank you all again for your help
        jerry defilippi

Comment

Sweet, ideas on where to get acrylic? I think home depot carries some thin stuff.

Tom
          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Maybe a craft store, but they might not carry thick enough acrylic. Maybe the best place might be a sign maker business. A web search might find you some as well. A glass shop as well might carry sheets of acrylic.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

The decks are made from thick masonite board with a transverse metal channel underneath attached with screws and blind nuts under the paper felt padding. There should be 4 brackets around the rear perimeter screwed to the fibreglass and an L-channel supporting the leading edge. Extending the transverse metal channel and attaching it to the fibreglass at the sides, would take the sag out.

I have a new one in Avanti red complete with hinged hatch, non-degraded pull tab and all brackets, if anyone is interested.

Comment

Working...
              X