PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker eye cabbage- worth saving?

wolfie
07-29-2010, 09:48 AM
We went to look at this little red Daytona convertable yesterday. The man gave a fairly accurate description prior over the phone, so we were not shocked when it had no floors to speak of. Our primary question is about the frame. The little car took a pretty hard lick in the passenger side front. As I started to add pics, I realised that I had FAILED to take a good overall pic! AARGH! I did however do a walk around video. Tracy

http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/ll160/wolfie_53/62%20Lark%20convertable/?action=view&current=DSCF8078.mp4

Then too, here is the link to another 25 or so pics of the +s and -s of the little car

http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/ll160/wolfie_53/62%20Lark%20convertable/?start=all&mediafilter=images

r1lark
07-29-2010, 10:44 AM
Hmmmm.......fairly rusty, at least from looking at the pics.

What is the name on the glovebox, I couldn't fully make it out. Does it say "Ron Dame"?

wolfie
07-29-2010, 11:02 AM

What is the name on the glovebox, I couldn't fully make it out. Does it say "Ron Dame"?

Tracy thought the same thing. I thought it said Ron Dale. Tracy is supposed to put up better pics of the right side frame rail. Its hit pretty hard. The seller is checking on another conv frame for it. This ones more project than I want so I wanted to see what should be saved of the conv specific parts. Steve

jclary
07-29-2010, 11:13 AM
I would offer no more than a few cents per pound over scrap value...and with my energy level and enthusiasm for such a project these days...even that is a reach!

41 Frank
07-29-2010, 11:19 AM
Parts car at best. Bent frame, rusty body. Convertible top bits are worth saving of course, the rest is scrap.

wolfie
07-29-2010, 11:29 AM
a little better pic of frame damage. The seller is in touch with what the car is. Does anyone need it or anything from it? I didnt really talk to him about parting the car but he seemed like he would be easy to deal with. And yes it is a parts car for all but the most over ambitious rebuilder. The top stuff that is there all seemed good. Steve

raprice
07-29-2010, 01:21 PM
I looks like a huge project for someone with much better skills than mine.
Good luck.
Rog

sweetolbob
07-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Seems to me that someone owning a similiar lark two-door could build a really neat convertible.

Bob

Bob Andrews
07-29-2010, 02:43 PM
Seems to me that someone owning a similiar lark two-door could build a really neat convertible.

Bob

Interesting you say that.

I have a nice, solid, straight 62 Daytona body from CO that I have planned as the base for my r2 Skytop project. I got it from Brad Daugherty in MI, who had planned to do with it exactly what you said. He had a completely shot but complete Daytona convertible; he showed me exactly how he had planned to combine the two to make a solid convertible. In the end he decided not to tackle it and sold the convertible shell to someone else, and I bought the HT body. Just as well, since the convertible frame is different (has the X member) from the HT anyway- correct?

As for this convertible, it looks slightly better than the one I'm referring to above. But that one was more complete. Steve, if it was somewhere around me I'd definitely want it for parts. I don't know how much it would be worth, because how much demand would there really be for the convertible parts? Chances are you'd either be sitting on them forever, or dragging them all over creation to swap meets. That said, it would absolutely be a shame to see the parts lost.

Best bet would be to have a place to keep it around, as opposed to putting out the money/labor to strip it down. No easy answer.

Ron Dame
07-29-2010, 04:46 PM

Nope, not my old one, it's in Washingtson state, and has been restored after a really horrible owner in between us.