Avanti antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Avanti antenna

Does anyone know if the antenna retrac's into the body or does it stay up?
    jerry defilippi

stays up about 8-10 inches..... Myers has new ones now. Be sure the base is grounded with the strap to the left rear body mount (under carpet)
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I bought a universal type antenna that retracts completely from Auto Zone. It fits and looks fine but I did have to run a ground wire to it since it's not made with a ground strap attachment. It may not be correct but it works fine and was less than $15.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Anyone installed a power antenna? Thats what I would like.

Tom
        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Avanti II's all have Power Antennas. I would think that Nostalgic Avanti in Mich. would have them.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by jerry1 View Post
            Does anyone know if the antenna retrac's into the body or does it stay up?
            Depends on the year of the Avanti. A Studebaker Avanti antenna stays above the fiberglass (several inches). Later Avantis had antennas that retracted all the way.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

thank you to all
              jerry defilippi

Comment

Well, mine is permanently "retracted" due to a wet car cover and strong wind.

Tom
                '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Tom,

I installed a power antenna on my Avanti back in 1978. I don't have a clue what brand it was, but it is an AM-FM w/CB. As I recall, it wasn't a big deal to install, you need to remember the ground connection for the antenna as well as the motor. Incidentally, the main reason for the power antenna was because of the car cover. Sure is convenient now. Hope this helps

Dan Miller
                  Auburn, GA

Comment

Dan,

Just cut a small home in the cover for the mast......no problem
                    Originally posted by ROADRACELARK View Post
                    Tom,

I installed a power antenna on my Avanti back in 1978. I don't have a clue what brand it was, but it is an AM-FM w/CB. As I recall, it wasn't a big deal to install, you need to remember the ground connection for the antenna as well as the motor. Incidentally, the main reason for the power antenna was because of the car cover. Sure is convenient now. Hope this helps

Dan Miller
                    Auburn, GA

Comment

Manual Antenna for the Avanti.The small '60's GM Pontiac & Chevy, don't remember their names, used an antenna mast identical in length, up or down, to the the Avanti antenna. It takes a little engineering to adapt the GM mast to the Avanti antenna base but, it can be done. Our '63 Avanti sports such a adaption. I purchased two of the GM replacement antennas years ago from a Mom & Pop radio repair shop. Went to purchase tuner cleaner, spotted the antenni hanging in their card and plastic cover. Didn't know if they were in fact the same demensions but "Pop" gave me special price just to get rid of them, I took them both.This was in the late seventies. I have a spare in case I need it at some later date.

Comment

Gee Carl, if I cut a "home" (hole) in the cover, then the cover wouldn't be any good. What good is a $19.95 car cover with a hole in it??? Might as well not have a cover at all if it's gona' have a hole in it....Just kidding. Have a good day.

Dan Miller
                        Auburn, GA

Comment

I installed a power antenna on my 63 Avanti it retracts all the way down into
                          the bezel pretty sure its by Carquest but got it on ebay.You need a three way switch also.

Comment

Just as a sidebar...

My '78 Avanti II has a different approach to the radio antenna. There is no antenna mast at all. They used the stainless molding, imbeded in the rear window gasket, as a "loop" antenna. The lower connector piece on the driver's side has a machine screw through it. The antenna cable is fastened to it with a nut on the inside of the gasket. I'm not sure if/where/how it is grounded. It functions reasonably well. If you were re-doing the body and wanted to fill the existing antenna hole, the antenna mast could be eliminated, and there would be nothing to snag a cover. I doubt that anyone would notice that it was missing.

I have no idea what years this was used on. Maybe some other Avanti II owners could comment.

For my car, I found that the ultimate solution was to install a Sirius satellite radio system. Since I use the car infrequently, I installed a system with a "dock", but not a radio. I have the same dock system on my "daily driver". So, when I use the Avanti, I just pop the radio out of the Honda and dock it in the Avanti. Works great. I also discovered that there is no need to have the unsightly Sirius antenna exposed on the Avanti. Since the roof is fiberglass, I slipped the antenna between the headliner and the roof panel. The radio signal is unaffected by the roof.
                            Jim Bradley
                            Lake Monticello, VA
                            '78 Avanti II
                            sigpic

Comment

• Ron Dame
                              Ron Dame commented
                              Editing a comment
                              My '80 has a power antenna. Maybe the loop antenna wasn't as good? I dunno, just guessing

Cover hole. My solution. Cut a thin piece of leather with a pinking shears about 1 1/2 inches sq. punch a 1/4 inch hole in it. Cement in place. Will keep the hole in the cloth cover from freying.

Comment

Working...
                            X