help finding neutral in T 98 transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help finding neutral in T 98 transmission

Hi folks, Steve is outside tinkering with the T98 tranny in the back of the truck. He has the top off as seen in these pics . He says it seems that everything that should move does, but he can not find neutral. What needs to move to give him neutral? To refresh, this trans turns straight through like it is gear, but if he puts it in gear it locks up like it is two gears. Thanks, Tracy
    Attached Files
    sigpic

If anyone can give me further guidance on this please tell me what you need to see. Neither I nor a neighbor that is pretty mechanical can find anything that doesnt do what we think it should with the possible exception of the synchronizer between the 2 largest gears on the main shaft at the top. Also with the possible exception of the wear on the largest gear (which I think may be acceptable) I cant find anything that would warrant replacement in this trans. The rusty looking stuff flakes off easily and leaves a smooth gear beneath with no notable pitting. I can shoot a video if that will help. The trans in the truck is coming apart quickly. Thanks, Steve
    sigpic

Comment

When I changed transmissions in my '60 lark I was unable to manually turn the input shaft and hold the output shaft in neutral, there was too much friction internally. A vice grip on each end allowed me to confirm that it did indeed work.

Perhaps a piece of grit has lodged somewhere inside causing excess friction.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
        When I changed transmissions in my '60 lark I was unable to manually turn the input shaft and hold the output shaft in neutral, there was too much friction internally. A vice grip on each end allowed me to confirm that it did indeed work.

Perhaps a piece of grit has lodged somewhere inside causing excess friction.
        This one locked down the truck. In neutral it would turn the engine when we pulled it off the trailer (with another truck and chain). It had a lot of pressure against it until I raised the rear of the truck to drop the driveshaft. Thanks, Steve
        sigpic

Comment

It probably IS in two gears at once. The lockout mechanism is located in the top shifter, so with it removed the trans can easily go into two gears at once. In the first photo, the trans is in 1st gear. In the second photo it appears to be in neutral, but it locks up because the reverse idler gear (two small gears down low at left rear of case) has slid forward into mesh. Push it back and you should be okay.
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
            It probably IS in two gears at once. The lockout mechanism is located in the top shifter, so with it removed the trans can easily go into two gears at once. In the first photo, the trans is in 1st gear. In the second photo it appears to be in neutral, but it locks up because the reverse idler gear (two small gears down low at left rear of case) has slid forward into mesh. Push it back and you should be okay.
            Trans turns straight through as if it was in gear with the reverse gears free in the position shown in the second pic. It is locked down in the position shown in first pic. Steve
            sigpic

Comment

Judging by the amount of rust on the gears in your pics, I'd say that the rollers on the input shaft have rusted enough to lock up the trans and make it act like it's in gear. Your best bet is to disassemble the trans and check it thoroughly.

Comment

Thanks, Goes in Monday for professional help. It looks so simplistic that I honestly think I could build it myself but looking in the shop manual all i can say is ..HUH? That being so I will pay to have this one done and try my skills on the burned up one in the truck. The shop I am taking it to quoted me $250 plus parts to rebuild it and guarantee the work. Hopefully the parts wont be terribly expensive. Thanks, Steve
                sigpic

Comment

$250 for labor sounds pretty reasonable, but by the time parts are involved it could come to quite a bill, if they can't save some of the rusted parts in there. The good news is, the T98 was used in such a wide variety of vehicles that parts shouldn't be a problem. I'm still betting the rollers on the input shaft are so corroded that it locked the upper shaft up.

Comment

You also need to have then check the shift detents......what others call the lockout. when these parts get worn it is possible to shift int two gears at once.
                    If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                    64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                    61 V8 Tcab
                    63 Tcab 20R powered
                    55 Commander Wagon
                    54 Champion Wagon
                    46 Gibson Model A
                    50 JD MC
                    45 Agricat
                    67 Triumph T100
                    66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

Thanks guys. I replaced the shifter stuff on the trans in the truck with the one I had removed from the trans in the pics today and it fixed 90% of my problems. I felt confident that the one in the truck would be burnt up but it stays in gear now and everything looked great and was much better lubricated than I expected it to be. I still suspect it has some leaks but after looking at it I think I will have it gone through instead of this one. I am hopeful seals and maybe bearings will have it 100%. I will still fix this one for a spare or trade bait and mostly because I have to confess I still dont fully understand why its not working and I have to know. Thanks again, Steve
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X