PDA

View Full Version : 61 hawk rear spring bushings

studelover
04-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Does anyone have the part numbers for a 1961 hawk rear spring shakle bushing set? The S.I.parts book shows numbers for the front rubber bushing only, I really need the rear shakle bolt and rubber bushing.I may have to cut the bolt because it is not cooperating.

Studebakers forever!

JDP
04-10-2007, 10:13 PM
SASCO stocks them both, just call and ask.

64 Commander-64 Daytona
64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
63 Avanti R1
63 Daytona convert-63
63 Lark 2 door
62 Lark 2 door
60 Lark HT-60Hawk
59 3E truck
52 & 53 Starliner
51 Commander

N8N
04-10-2007, 10:14 PM
bolt is just a standard Grade 5 bolt, but make sure you use a self locking nut on it. Now the ones for the front bushing are special, they have a little nose on them to ease installation. (they're also the hardest to get out, it seems...)

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

StudeRich
04-10-2007, 10:54 PM
Sometimes it takes an OL Stude. parts guy to read a parts listing! [:0]LOL How about page 182, Pic. "C" 1544481 '51-'66 all modewls upper and lower (4) per car 7/8 in. Dia. were $9.75 ea. (now who knows)?

Rich.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

studelover
04-12-2007, 04:32 AM
I ordered the bushings today, they are all the same number. I thought the front would be different from the back. I also got the bolt kit, it looks like I would have to cut the bolts and everything.

Studebakers forever!

starlightchamp
04-12-2007, 04:47 PM
Getting the old bushings out is a killer! With three of us working it was the better part of
a day to replace them. We jacked up the car and then with another jack, took the weight off the
bushings, This allowed us to remove the leaf spring by driving out the bolts--that was the easy part.
Without a press, those old bushings are rusted in, won't move, and hammering wouldn't work since
the old rubber absorbed the strike. What finally worked was a metal saw blade in a saber saw.
We sawed through the inner steel
shell, then twisted the ends with visegrips until the shell could be driven out. Then the old rubber was
dugout so the saw could be used on the outer steel shell. The cut is made lengthwise and then again
the visegrips used to pry away the shell from the leafspring wall. Good news is the new bushings went
in pretty easy with just a little grease and a hard surface to rest the spring on while tapping the
bushing in. We did clean the inner wall of the springs with a rotary tool spinning a wire brush.
It's a two person job!!
Good luck.
...Dick

StudeRich
04-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Actually they ARE different! There are (4) of the rears 1544481 (2) in the frame, and (2) in the the spring eyes. But the front are very large bushings: 1539484 1 1/2 in. OD.

Maybe if you dealt with someone who actually knows the parts, you'd get the right stuff...you think! LOL:D :D

quote:Originally posted by studelover

I ordered the bushings today, they are all the same number. I thought the front would be different from the back.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Randy_G
04-12-2007, 08:43 PM
I replaced the rear spring bushings on the Lark, I cant imagine trying that job without using a press. And you are right it is a two person and one whole day job.

Randy_G
1959 Lark Sedan
www.AutomotiveHistoryOnline.com
http://www.automotivehistoryonline.com/sedan4small.jpg

studelover
04-13-2007, 08:30 PM
They sent the right ones StudeRich however I do need a emergency brake rear cable for the hawk.The cable that attaches to the rear drums.
quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Actually they ARE different! There are (4) of the rears 1544481 (2) in the frame, and (2) in the the spring eyes. But the front are very large bushings: 1539484 1 1/2 in. OD.

Maybe if you dealt with someone who actually knows the parts, you'd get the right stuff...you think! LOL:D :D

quote:Originally posted by studelover

I ordered the bushings today, they are all the same number. I thought the front would be different from the back.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Studebakers forever!